1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

How Much

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Uniballer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much

Hey Guys, i just signed on to this site because i am looking at buying a 2003 Durango RT awd. One of my biggest questions is gas mileage. I've checked it out on the internet and got all the numbers but i wanted to hear from the people that drive them day in and day out. How much does it cost to fill and how many kms do you get to a tank( by the way i live in Canada). Also what has help you gain mileage the most.

The other thing that i'm concerned about is the SUV has some orange peel effect on the paint. Does this have to be wet sanded out or is there any products out there that will take care of this?

Any help is appreciated

Old 09-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: How Much

This is not a easy question to answer. MPG ratings all differ depending on what regionCanadayour R/T will be driven. I know users reports anywhere from 10-13 mpg all the way to 19-21 mpg. You may want to specify where you live and then hopefully someusers in your area can give you their avg mpg's.

As far as thpaint goes, no idea. My 2000 R/T paint never peeled. Still in mint condition as it is garaged nearly 24 hours a day. It's only exposed to sunlight or rain when it is on the road or when I go shopping with it (very little of that).

The only budgetable things that can give you a realistic improvement in gas mileage is to get a better air filter. I am using a K&N OEM replacment filter. This gave me about a 1 mpg improvement. Other than that, just maintain your engine really well for the rest.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Uniballer

Kensai

Thanks for the respones. I live in Alberta Canada 7 months winter and the rest isn't that great. I was thinking about picking up a hypertech programmer, and a CAI to help with the mileage. Any experience with the programmers??

Old 09-07-2007, 10:54 PM
bigbaddurango
Professional

I get about 10 in town and 13 on the high way on my 2000 5.9 3inch lift and 33s as far as the ornge peal if its not to bad you can get some good 3m buffing compound and buff it out if not wet sanding is your only option

Old 09-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the programmers are very easy. Just do not buy a piggyback chip, they don't work in the long run as the Chrysler's PCM will eventually cancel out the chip. But a programmer will actually reprogram the pcm itself. I recommend the hypertech as you are going to get the 5.9.

As far as the orange peeling problem, how's the interior? This seems like this D been outside exposed to the elementsmuch more than it should be? Also you may want to check the suspension components for wear and check to see if the D has the ball joint recall performed on it.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:14 AM
bigbaddurango
Professional

Guys orange peel is not pealing of the paint it has nothing to do with siting in the sun most new cars have some degree of it. Orange peel is a certain kind of texture that may develop on painted surfaces. Paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.