1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Custom made Front RAM air intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Custom made Front RAM air intake

I just finished building a custom ram air intake that works marvelously!I really want to trump Mean Green's gettoram airsetup!!! I want to show you guys what less than $10-$15 in sheet metal parts can do for your D.
Anyways,Here is a list of materials and tools you will need for this project. All ducting from the OEM airbox is 4 inch ducting. If possible I recommend to get the aluminum type so you won't have to worry about rusting. I purchase these materials from my local Home Depot store.

Materials:

1 - 90 degree adjustable elbow
1 - 4 inch spacer
1 - 8 to 10 inch tube
2-3 - 1/4 inch sheet metal screws

Tools:

Drill with 1/8 inch drill bit to drill pilot holes to screw the sheetmetal screws
left/right sheetmetal cutters

You will have to remove the factory plastic elbow and remove the plastic/rubber shroud cover that is on the passenger front of the durango. You insert the 4 inch spacer along with the adjustable 90 degree elbow. You will have to play with the adjustable elbow and swivel the elbow until you get the right pattern to get the elbow as close to the radiator and freon line as possible. Then slide the 8-10 inch tube from the front of the durango until you hit your A/C line. from here, you will have to cut a slot approximately 3-4 inches so the tube can continue to slide further until it meets the elbow and can go in an extra inch. Once your tube is snugged nice and deep into the elbow, Use the drill to drill a couple of holes so you can screw in the sheetmetal screws to hold them in place. Then use the sheetmetal cutters to trim off the front where it meets the top frame. I think I am going to get a clip to support the front and screw it to the frame for stronger support on the front.

If you are worried about water entering the duct when driving in the rain, no worry, the factory airbox has holes on the bottom of the air box for water to drain out. You may drill a few extra holes in the airbox to ensure the water will drain throroughly if you play alot in wet areas. Plus, the air dam on front of the durango provide enough protection to prevent large objects from entering the duct to prevent clogging.

Attached Thumbnails Custom made Front RAM air intake-photo_091207_001-large-.jpg   Custom made Front RAM air intake-photo_091207_002-large-.jpg   Custom made Front RAM air intake-photo_091207_003-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Kensai; 12-28-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:49 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Custom made Front RAM air intake

How do you like the throttle response and power gains?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Kensai
Champion

This morning is my first test run with this home made ram air. I tell ya, it is almost night and day. My D did not want to slow down! haha, I almost have to completely let off the gas pedal to maintain highway speeds (60-70). Knowing this, I cannot wait to see how my MPG may improve as the D is keeping me off the pedal.

I know that highway acceleration big improvement using this homemade custom mod. If you notice on my setup, the hole from front to the airbox is nearly unrestricted and the ducting I use, the walls are smooth so air flow is nice and smooth. Plus, I was able to utilize the entire 4 inch diameter without having to shrink the opening.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah I was looking at that. I think I will take a look into it even though mine is doing fine. More air never hurts anything.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Kensai
Champion

Because of water (driving in rain) possibly entering the ram tube, I would highly recommend a washable air filter type (K&N). I think if you wet a paper disposable type air filter, it would be hard for air to get thru and actually can choke your engine.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah, one thing that might be nice is if you have a way to do a quick disconnect but sinceI live in Reno now I don't have that problem. I think the last time I saw rain was a month ago and before that I think was like 2-3 months.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Kensai
Champion

Easy, takes less than a minute to disassemble this tube setup.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Digitoxin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Kensai. I would still save up for a ram air hood. Youll notice even more of a difference. More air and with a K&N cool air kit sealed to the hood. It doesnt get any better then that.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Kensai
Champion

Digi,

Slowly but surely! I wanted a ram air hood more for the aggressive looks as well as functionality! But that upgrade will be a long ways off as I now have a $4k bill to pay off for Fastman's bulletproof custom built tranny. For now, I thought this homemade setup is as best i can get for RAM air for on the cheap. At least being solid metal ducting vs flexible ducting it looks like, doesn't look too ghetto. MaybeI will take the tubes off and paint them enamelblack to make it look more OEM? haha

Old 09-19-2007, 07:34 PM
myns
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont work on cars for a living but as a engineer in the construction field i deal with the material used and u should use some duct goop on those joints for better sealing

Quick Reply: Custom made Front RAM air intake