1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Please help me. How do I pull this sensor out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:55 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Please help me. How do I pull this sensor out?

no gasket, just use a generous bead of rtv to seal the cover. be sure and go around the bolt holes too. use black, because a little will ooze out and orange or blue looks silly. also don't over-torque the little cover bolts. they can't stand a lot, check the manual but maybe 15-20 lbs is all. you should have a rubber plug about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way up the diff cover. fill it to the bottom of that hole. just my opinion but shiny diff covers are a waste of money.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:30 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: demo67

this is all great information. I will change the speed sensor in the trans next. I have also ordered a brake light switch from rockauto for like $8.00. I'm going to change the differential fluid also. One question, where is the fill plug on the differential. It seems like the plug on the case is kind of low, just want to make sure before i change it. I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket chrome cover, the durango is not driven much and I don't pull anything. Is it optional touse either a seal or a gasket? I've seen some people use a gasket and still use sometype of sealent around the cover.
The plug is right in the middle of the cover offset to the right of center just a little. It's a rubber plug. That is the fill plug. Once you have the rear cover off, fluid drained, cover cleaned, gasket made of rtv, and cover re-installed, you just fill with fluid until it starts running back out that plug. Mine took just over 2 quarts.

I don't think there is a gasket you can get for the rear cover. Just get some rtv and apply one bead all the way around the middle of the lip of the cover and make a loop of rtv around each of the bolt holes.

One more note, take the spare tire out. Much easier.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM
demo67

post update.

bought the tranny sensor and ordered the brake light switch at advance auto parts. many of these parts are now available at your local parts store. changed the speed sensor located at the transmission(cost $16.00). It did not fix the abs and break light problem but I can tell that the transmission is shifting like a million times better. definitely a good move even thought my abs and break light switch is till on. The break light switch will be delivered at the store tomorrow(cost $14.00). Therefore I will install it tomorrow(some people claim that it has solve their problems). As for the differential fluid change I will tackle that job next saturday morning. thanks dhvaughan for your help. It should be preatty easy to fill the differential through that fill hole.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
demo67

installed the brake light switch per the manual. It took about 3 minutes but the lights(abs and brake lights)turned on. I also noticed that the speed sensor on the tranny was leaking trans oil. apperently the new sensor that i bought did not come with a o-ring on the sensor. I removed the o-ring from the old tranny sensor and installed it on the new sensor and on the tranny. to summarize. I have replaced the rear speed sensor, the tranny speed sensor, and the brake light switch. the abs and brake lights still turn on the dashboard. the lightsdo not turn on immeadiately, sometimes they take less or longer. but they do turn on. My next move are to install all new fuses and to change the differential fluid. I don't know if it's worth it to change the abs module. although they are not as expensive as people in these forums say.

Quick Reply: Please help me. How do I pull this sensor out?