1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Please help me. How do I pull this sensor out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:52 PM
demo67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me. How do I pull this sensor out?

I have the abs and brake light on. I already have the rear differential sensor ready, my problem is that the sensor will not come off. I disconnected everything.

1. I disconnected the battery.

2. with 13 mm socket removed first nut

3. removed firt brake harness(or bracket)

4. disconnected wire hoockup

5. with 14 mm deep socket removed the next nut and metal bracket

6. I wiggled sensor but it will not come out. It will turn all the way around but will not budge outward.

7. I'm stuck. I don't want to make it worse. is there a trick to pulling out these sensors or some type of tool? it's difficult to wiggle the sensor and pull away from you while underneath the vehicle. I'm very new to this, please help me.

thanks in advance for your help

Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 PM
demo67
Default RE: Please help me. How do I pull this sensor out?

since i was not getting any replies I tried a flat screwdriver and broke off the sensor with the plastic case stuck inside the differential. I was able to get the o-ring out but cannot manage to pull out the plastic encasing. needless to say now i have my abs and brake light stay on and now my speedometer isn't working. I'm going to have to take the truck to the dealer. The sad part is the fact that the sensor was in perfect working condition. I've thought about a cork screw and pulling it off. anybody has any suggestions? i'm not sure about leaving any debris inside the differential.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:32 PM
deerang
All Star

is the sensor plastic?? how stuck is it inside of the diff? has it fallen into the diff itself?

I've never taken one of these out, nor have I even taken a close look at one from the outside.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 PM
demo67

the sensor itself came out but the plastic case is stuck inside the differential. It is spinning just inside on top of the differential. If I open up the differential case will i be able to take it out? or would that create more problems?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've never had mine out, but i would think with the differential cover off you should be able to get it out. it just sits in the top of the case, and measures a magnet or something thats on the ring gear. you'll need about 1.5 qts of diff oil and some rtv to reseal the cover, and a small bottle of friction modifier if you have a limited slip. changing that oil is a good idea anyway.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 AM
demo67

should I be panicking or do these type of things sometime happen? what do the experts recommend? my wife does not want me to "play" around with it anymore...but if if I take it to a mechanic who knows?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:43 PM
demo67

I will "play" with it one more time. Usin the following tools; it is worth a shot. or pay the dealer $800.00.

Name:  picktoolset01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  45.7 KB

Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 PM
spectre184

Do what dhvaughan said and pull differential cover and get it out that way. Helped brother change one his D. Easy coming out but PITA going back in. IIRC it's tapered with o-ring. Skinny part is in differentail and fat part stciks out and has plug.

You serious about dealer wanting $800 to do this?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:45 PM
demo67

spectre can you elaborate on what process you used? You helped your brother change a sensor or the differential fluid? how did you succeed? what do you mean by "PITA" and "IIRC." I had to use a flat top screw driver to get the sensor lose but it broke off leaving the plastic case inside at the o-ring. could I try to force the new sensor in and push the "old" casing in? I've heard that it's a tight fit already.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

ORIGINAL: demo67

spectre can you elaborate on what process you used? You helped your brother change a sensor or the differential fluid? how did you succeed? what do you mean by "PITA" and "IIRC." I had to use a flat top screw driver to get the sensor lose but it broke off leaving the plastic case inside at the o-ring. could I try to force the new sensor in and push the "old" casing in? I've heard that it's a tight fit already.
PITA = pain in the ankle
IIRC = if I remember corectly

Quick Reply: Please help me. How do I pull this sensor out?