1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

tranny trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Durangolvr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny trouble

Hello everyone I'm in need of some advice. I have a 2000 Durango with 5.9 4x4 with 133k on it. I don't drive it very much due to a company truck and most of my time working. Last week I got in it to go somewhere and I noticed the tranny would not shift out of 1st gear until about 3500 on tach or I let off the gas, once back on the gas it would downshift back to 1st. Someone told me that it needed to be flushed and filter replaced and that would fix it, said it was probably a stuck solenoid. I had the speed control sensor replaced a yr ago by dealer when I saw check light come on.Should Ihave that done or should I take it to a tranny shop or dealer to have it checked out? Don't want to throw away money. There are no check lights on fluid is normal color no burnt smell. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: tranny trouble

How cold is where you are ? The reason I ask is because under very cold condition the fluid would take some time to warm up and start shifting. The colded the temp the more the trans will stay in a low gear.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Durangolvr

No I live in Noth Carolina not cold at all. This just started all of the sudden no warning.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:29 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

try the speed sensor on the tranny for this, my old dakota did that and that was what fixed it was replacing the transmission speed senor, i think it was 18 dollars and 5 min to replace not hard at all

Old 12-09-2007, 05:12 PM
PirateFL

This appears to be a common problem. I had the same problem. Spent big bucks at the dealer to fix it and 13 months later it happened again. After extensive research and much additional money spent, Here's what I learned (try in this order):

1. Could be a fluid level problem, too high or too low(like you, I wasn't that lucky).
2. Could be a speed sensor (there are 2: front is on the transmission case and rear is on the diff - try replacing the front one. Didn't work for me though)
3. Could be a band adjustment problem (possible if you are having delayed, erraticor rough shifting). Not fun to do and didn't help.
4. Could be a throttle linkage adjustment problem (possible if you are experiencing delayed, erratic or rough shifting) This might be all you need to do - not that hard and helped me with my 1st-to-2nd delay.
5. Finally, could bethe governer pressure sensor and the governor pressure solenoid, both located inside the pan on the underside of the valve body. This was my problem, the parts went bad TWICE. Not hard to replace, can be done while changing your filter and pan gasket. Takes another 15-20 minutes.

NOTE: Above info presuming you have have a 46RE tranny. Bear in mind I am not a pro. There is a link to a shop manual somewhee in here with detailed info on diagnostics and repair for all models. Checking it outcould save a lot of money.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 PM
PirateFL

One more thing (this might explain your issue)...

Shift schedules are controlled by the Transmission Control Module. This computer comes pre-programmed with shift schedules and is designed to delay or quicken upshift/downshift depending on temperature and load conditions among other things.

My understandingis thatthe deviceis also designed to "learn" new shift schedules based on information reported to it by other modules including the PCM, speed sensors and solenoid pack. Unfortunately, it seems that this also means that it can learn BAD shift schedules as a result of faulty electronic components, and even if the components are replaced, the TCM will keep the learned program in memory. According to the shop manual, any time you replace any of the components mentioned above you should also RECALIBRATE the TCM with a "DRB SCAN TOOL," otherwise the delayed shifting may continue - even with good new parts.Do you own a DRB Scan tool? Looks like a visit to your friendly neighborhood Chrysler repair shop... [:@]

Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 AM
BrentLenig360ci

I am having the same problem (wont shift till 3500 in second gear) and only does it when its first started up, and randomly after that (maybe every 10th timeI hit a stoplight or sign).

Good info I will give that stuff a try also.

Governer pressure sensor and the governor pressure solenoid then the speed sensor,,,,,,

Just guessing and buying all those is still cheaper than going to the dealer (and they still cant figure it out after 2 times there)[&:]

Old 12-10-2007, 09:55 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The seals maybe hard, causing the transmission to slip. It maybe time for a seal kit.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Gaddyman

I have a 2002 sxt 2wd and mine had a similar problem. It wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. It was the Transmission Control Module. I hope it isn't your problem because it was $600 + for the part and 75$ for the labor. If this is your problem, make sure that you put your factory rims & tires back on it if you have aftermarket ones before someone works on it. If you don't, like I didn't, when I got it back my ABS light kept beeping and wouldn't go off. I had to take it back with my factory rims & tires in order to get it fixed. Needless to say I had to show my a$$ because they tried to charge me for the labor. Good Luck!!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok guys,
This problem is almost always caused by:

1. Metal shaving in the fluid from worn parts hanging up the solenoids and other electronic parts of the 46RE trans. This is a classic with the 46-RE.

2. Using the wrong fluid. Don't let anyone put the wrong fluid in. Shops will put in a fluid that is supposed to be compatible with all makes but this is not the case in our trans. Only use approved fluid. When I take my truck in I stand there and watch. If the trans is low I hand them MY RIGHT fluid.

3. Worn out trans coolers can be the blame for medal shavings.

When the trans are replaced in the 46 RE then everything should be flushed, Back flushed, and replaced if needed. The problem is the radiator, cooler, and lines including in-line check valves (yes there are 2) could be to blame if stuck semi open. These are expensive parts and not everyone wants to pay to do it right.

Hope I shedded some light here.

Quick Reply: tranny trouble