1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TRANSMISSION PAN

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:28 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANSMISSION PAN

Gentlemen, I just did my 75K service with the Transmission fluid/filter. Inspection normal, no excessive amounts of metal in the magnet, fluid normal used look, no other defects noted until I cleaned up the pan. I noticed formation of rust starting at about the middle center of the pan right about where it starts flaring in towards the front of the pan. I got the pan back on, refilled fluid and left it for further monitoring. When I got home I startedlooking around online for pans. When doing google search I noticed a post where someone had developed the same type of rusting that eventually led to fluid leak, and transmission replacement. A couple of questions to ask the forum

1. I am probably overthinking this, but Is ATF+4 that corrosive? The corrosion was on the outside of the pan.

2. Do you think that this could have been an extreme case of not monitoring rustthrough or possibly lack of routine inspection in the first place?

3. Do you think that some sandpaper, scuff sand, prime and replace with engine grade hi temp paint might work?

On a related matter, I saw a link for PML aftermarket tranny pans, the installation example they showed was a Liberty but the concept seems to be easy. Their example also showed a drain plug on the drivers side forward, along with the optional machining process for a side mounted TEMP sensor I guess for racing evolutions, but other links showed full size transmission temp gauges.

My major question is has anyone had expereience with these aftermarket pans? I do not want to panic, and blow $260 but then again it might be a small price to pay compared to a new transmission. Any thoughts from the membership?

Steve

Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: TRANSMISSION PAN

No. But there isn't a pan gasket just the black RTV silicone.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
tbasse01
Rookie

dont worry about it, it is just surface rust

lots of rusty durango tranny pans out there

i would just sand it and paint (if you want)

I find it hard that a guys tranny blew up because of a pan leak because of rust

if it was from rust it would weep out slowly until it let go, the tell tale signs would be on the driveway long long before failure of tranny due to lack of fluid

those aftermarket pans are good

most of the pans are alot larger than stock, hence it will hold about 3 to 4 more quarts, they help alot with cooling the fluid aslo because they are aluminum and deep pan with cooling fins and internal baffles to keep the fluid up to the pump were you need it

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Thanks for the input. As for the gasket, the new kit came with one, I had conflict with the manual, but since one was in the filter I installed it, used the red HI TEMP sealant, it has not leaked and I did not have any major problems lining the bolts up for installation. I am figuring they put the gasket with the filter to cover themselves but no big deal, they work. I will sand/prime/paint for now, but keep an eye out for prices, maybe some more overtime or during tax refund time, I might replace pan.

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION PAN