1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rims and tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 AM
trosario
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims and tires

Hey everyone....I've had my '01 Durango for some time now and I'm about to start some upgrading. I'm looking to beef up my tires first.
I'm looking to go with Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ (265/75/R16) w/ American Racing Trench (black) 16" rims. I'm also looking to add a throttle body spacer for increased horse power and maybe a super chip. I want to make minor changes. Want to keep in looking stock but not be stock, know what I mean. Not looking to add a lift cause it is my family vehicle but want to have it perform better. Anyways
does anyone have any suggestions on what modificationsI should make to the vehicle. Will these tires be alright..will they fit w/o modifying my fenders?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rims and tires

31 shouldnt be an issue to my knowledge thats what comes stock the width and ofset of the rim i cant be sure (skipped all that when lifted). But i'll look aroundand get you an answer soon. Throttle body spacer is useless so no need to waste your money. Minor easy changes in mind for a little power would CAI, Catback, and then programmer. Miles/engine/ etc?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

[hr]
Scrub that. I cant really give you a max tire size seeing i keep finding pro's/con's concerning rub with different tire sizes. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
trosario

Thanx for the input..all/any info is appreciated. I ran into the same problem, keep getting different opinions on tire sizes but thanx again.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

Okay, got the input, those tires will not clear. Would require a torsion/shackle lift and maybe some fender modding.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:47 PM
deerang
All Star

With a 2 inch torsion shackle lift (which is cheapest and easiest) you should be able to clear 32x10.5x15(or 16 no difference really)... from what I've read you shouldn't rub except on full lock turns, and thats really easy to fix (just don't turn full lock)....

I don't know if you can clear 32" tires on stock height, i havent come across that situation before...

+1 on tb spacers being useless... makes a better paper weight then power adder..

intake, and exhaust will give you some throttle response and mileage (assuming you can keep your foot out of it)...

Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 AM
trosario

So if I stay with the 32x10.5 (with lift) I shouldn't have any rubbing or rubbing only on full turns?

I just replaced my shocks. If I do the lift, should I get a longer shock?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
deerang
All Star

So if I stay with the 32x10.5 (with lift) I shouldn't have any rubbing or rubbing only on full turns?
Yup... I don't have this setup, but what I've read many times is you shouldn't have a problem...
http://www.jeepfreek.com/durangolift.htm

Your shocks can withstand the extra 2 inches without a problem...

Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 PM
trosario

Cool thanx but one more question....Can I just crank to torsion bars to get 32" in the front and leave rear as is and add 32" tires or
do I need to add the shackles in the rear ?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:22 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Provided the tires clear, you "could" probably get away with that, since the rear wheels don't turn. I'd not recommend it, though, for a couple of reasons.

First, I personally think it would look pretty silly having the front end lifted and not the rear. That's purely personal preferance, though.

Mainly what I'd be worried about is how lifting only the front would affect the weight distribution, and what impact that would have on handling, and especially on braking, since your front wheels handle all of the steering and the huge majority of the braking. What you're proposing would move your weight distribution more toward the rear, reducing the traction of your front tires.

Perhaps I'm being a little over-cautious, but those are two things that would definitely concern me with the icy roads we have around my neck of the woods, and I'd definitely seek the advice of an expert before going ahead with it. Even if it's only a slight difference in traction, that could be the difference between getting home in one piece and sliding into a light pole if you come up on an unexpected patch of ice on a turn.

Quick Reply: Rims and tires