1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000-2003 Durango Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:47 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000-2003 Durango Recall

Monique Conrad's 2000 Durango had only 31,000 miles on it when the right front wheel suddenly flew off while she was driving. (Photo: CBS)

Two of the most popular vehicles on the road could be dangerous, and now the government orders many of them recalled, reports CBS News Correspondent Mika Brzezinski.

Six hundred thousand popular vehicles could be recalled if DaimlerChrysler complies with the government's demand.

The recall order covers model years 2000 to 2003 of the 4x4 Dodge Durangos and the Dakota pick-up trucks with four-wheel drive.

The government action highlights a problem first uncovered by CBS News more than a year ago.

"Unfortunately, it could have been a really deadly situation," Monique Conrad, a former Dodge Durango owner, told Brzezinski

Back then, Monique Conrad's 2000 Durango had only 31,000 miles on it when the right front wheel suddenly flew off while she was driving.

"My tire, along with a piece of metal about a foot long, was bouncing across this four-lane road," Conrad said.

Her experience along with similar complaints prompted the government to investigate possible premature wear of Dodge Durango upper ball joints — a ball and socket attaching the wheel assembly the vehicle.

Since our first report, CBS News received hundreds of e-mails, photos and calls from viewers around the country like Kate McGeehan-Sawyer from Maine.

"The wheel just flew out," McGeehan-Sawyer said.

Tina Czech, from Massachusetts, experienced a similar road trauma: "The wheel had completely fallen off," she said.

And Joyce and John Gosch, truck owners from Pennsylvania, pointed to the damage: "This just ripped off," John Gosch said.

As the complaints piled up, the government expanded its investigation to include the Dodge Dakota pick-up truck, which uses the same upper ball joints. Dakota owner John Cohron, said his truck looked the same as many others with similar tire trouble, after his wheel flew off.

"So you got out of your truck and what did you see?" Cohron said. "I saw the tire and the wheel underneath the front end of the truck."

According the government, a third of the nearly 2 million vehicles investigated had defective upper ball joints. And almost all were produced at an Indiana plant. Customers paid up to $1,200 dollars to replace these parts — a recall could mean a huge financial hit for DaimlerChrysler.

"The cost is certainly going to run into hundreds of millions of dollars," said Clarence Ditlow, from the Center for Auto Safety.

DaimlerChrysler also faces mounting lawsuits like the one filed by David and Christina Shaffer. They were on the highway in their Durango with their four young children when suddenly they experienced a shock of their life.

"It seemed like we went into a frenzy of flipping," David Shaffer said.

Bodies went flying everywhere. Christina — who was pregnant at the time — suffered numerous injuries including a broken neck. Doctors were not optimistic.

About the baby, David Shaffer said, "there was no certainty. You know they actually came to me and recommended to me to take the baby's life."

Medical bills forced the family into bankruptcy. And while they consider their new baby girl a miracle, the Shaffers say they wish DaimlerChrysler had acted sooner.

"It could have been our whole family gone," Christina Shaffer said.

In a statement issued late Thursday, DaimlerChrysler maintained that the upper ball joints do not pose a safety concern and that owners have substantial warning of any problems — like noise or tire wear that would be picked up during routine inspections.

The company says it is reviewing the governments order for a recall and will respond next Monday.

©MMIV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

redriderbob

Old 12-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker
Default RE: Recall Coming for 2000-2003 Durangos:

Yeah I was gonna post this last night but you had beat me to it.

To be honest, I am a LITTLE suprised by the fact that of all the major automobile corporations, Chrysler is saying they don't see how the freakin' wheels falling off of vehicles could be a major safety factor. I mean WTF, I know all of the major corporations cut corners and I know this could be a huge financial hit but damn, think about how much they will pay out with just a FEW lawsuits! I think they will come around though and hopefully sooner than later.

Also- I know they "say" that you can hear the trouble with the ball joints before anything happens (which obviously isn't the case) but when you are turning, what kind of noise is it that you would hear, a popping noise of somesort?

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2004, 11:36 AM
datacop
Rookie

Yes, a popping sound is what they are refering to.

When your going straight, the ball sits in the top part of the cup, when you turn, the ball shifts to the side of the cup (on worn joints). It's the shifting of the weight and movement of the ball in the cup of the joint that causes the "pop" sound.

Mine failed without any warning, no tire wear, no audiable warnings and no wheel play.

There are quite a few lawsuits out there already for this issue, and if anything, they are going to slow a recall more than speed it up. If DCX issues a recall now with the lawsuits pending, then that is an admission of guilt. The would loose all class action cases pending against them.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: datacop

When your going straight, the ball sits in the top part of the cup, when you turn, the ball shifts to the side of the cup (on worn joints). It's the shifting of the weight and movement of the ball in the cup of the joint that causes the "pop" sound.

Mine failed without any warning, no tire wear, no audiable warnings and no wheel play.

There are quite a few lawsuits out there already for this issue, and if anything, they are going to slow a recall more than speed it up. If DCX issues a recall now with the lawsuits pending, then that is an admission of guilt. The would loose all class action cases pending against them.
So the popping is definately a bad sign of wear correct? Do they only do that when they are about worn out?

Old 12-10-2004, 09:02 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have an answer by mid-week, before Christnas for sure.

Do yourselves a favor, DO NOT CALL THE DEALER AS SOON AS HEAR THE RECALL HAS BEEN LAUNCHED. All you will get is an irrate service writer who has been answering the same questions all day. DCX will send you a postcard when parts are available. With huge recalls like this we usually launch in phases so as not to swamp the dealerships with the same recalls all day. Also parts are usually very slow as they try to fill orders from every dealer in the world in the same week. It's coming, be patient. Another few weeks shouldn't kill anybody.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was driving my Durango today and just heard the news on the radio about the Dodge Durango Recalls and the front wheels coming off. That really spooked me as I am driving this Durango down 635 in Dallas at 65 mph. I cannot imagine if I would be alive and who else would get hurt if my Durango's front tires just came off while driving at high rates of speed.

If Dodge replaces these upper ball joints, I wonder if these replacement ball joints will be of similar design from the original? That would mean these replacement ball joints won't last long either? haha. And waiting to hear popping noises for signs of trouble to come? That's like waiting for the oil light to come on to tell you that you are out of oil! By then it's too late, the damage is done and if you are lucky, the engine may or may not be salvagable. In this case, we be lucky if our Durango's will be damaged already in other areas caused by faulty ball joints. I have been keeping a constant checkups on my ball joints. I don't hear popping noises, but I won't wait for them to become audible. Been checking my ball joints on every oil change, and tire balance and rotation. I love my 2000 Durango R/T and I know these SUV's has its bad reps from bad mileage to bad ball joints and engine sludge. I pray that I won't see my front tires leaving my Durango anytime soon.@@@

Old 12-13-2004, 07:07 PM
dodgemech
All Star

It's official. Got the notice today. All 2000-2003.5 Durango 4X4 will be recalled and all 2000-2003.5 4X2 will have a 10 yeasr 100K warranty for ball joints. Parts should be available later in the month and notices will be mailed.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:03 PM
dodgemech
All Star

Here is a copy of the recall, our dealer has parts now.
 Copyright 2004, DaimlerChrysler Corporation, All Rights Reserved
December 2004
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall D47 - Upper Ball Joint Joints
2000 - 2003 (AN) Dodge Dakota 4x4 Pick-Up Truck
2000 - 2003 (DN) Dodge Durango 4x4
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles built through
December 31, 2002 (MDH 1231XX).
Water may enter into the front suspension upper ball joints on about 600,000 of the
above vehicles and cause corrosion. Over an extended period of time, a “clunkingâ€
noise can develop in the front suspension due to progressive ball joint wear. If this
noise is ignored, the front wheel assembly could separate from the vehicle.
Both front suspension upper ball joints must be replaced.
Models
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle
inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail
delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service.
Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
Subject
Repair
Safety Recall D47 -- Upper Ball Joints Page 2
Part Number Description
CEXMD471 Upper Ball Joint Package
Each package contains the following components:
Quantity Description
2 Upper Ball Joints
6 Bolts
6 Nuts
2 Cotter Pins
2 Castle Nuts
Each dealer to whom vehicles in the notification were invoiced will receive TWO
(2) upper ball joint packages.
The following special tool applies to this service procedure:
 MB991113 Ball Joint Separator
Parts Information
Special Tools
Safety Recall D47 -- Upper Ball Joints Page 3
Replace Upper Ball Joints
1. Raise the vehicle on an appropriate
hoist.
2. Remove the front wheel and tire
assemblies.
3. Position a hydraulic jack under the left
side lower control arm and raise the jack
to unload the rebound bumper.
4. Remove the cotter pin from the upper ball
joint castle nut.
5. Remove the upper ball joint castle nut from the upper ball joint stud.
6. Using a die grinder equipped with a cut-off wheel, grind an “X†through each of
the three upper ball joint rivet heads (Figure 1).
CAUTION: Do not grind into the
control arm.
7. Using an air chisel, chisel the three rivet
heads off of the upper ball joint.
8. Punch out the rivets using a drift and
hammer.
9. Separate the upper ball joint from the
steering knuckle with special tool
MB991113.
10. Remove and discard the old ball joint.
11. Using 100 grit emery cloth, lightly sand
the top surface of the steering knuckle to
remove any rust and/or scale from the
steering knuckle (Figure 2).
Service Procedure
Figure 2 – Left Side Shown
Figure 1
Safety Recall D47 -- Upper Ball Joints Page 4
12. Insert the bolts supplied with the ball
joint package from the bottom side of
the control arm (Figure 3).
13. Place the new ball joint onto the
control arm and install retaining nuts
(Figure 3). Tighten the nuts to
50 ft. lbs. (68 Nâ‹…m).
14. Position the steering knuckle onto the
upper ball joint stud.
15. Install the castle nut onto the ball joint
stud. Tighten the upper ball joint castle nut to 60 ft. lbs. (81 Nâ‹…m).
NOTE: If the castle nut slots do not line up with the cotter pin hole in the
ball joint stud, continue tightening the nut until the next set of castle nut
slots line up with the cotter pin hole. Do not loosen the nut.
16. Install the cotter pin through the castle nut and secure it by bending the arms of
the pin.
17. Install the wheel and tire assembly. Tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs
(135 Nâ‹…m).
18. Repeat Steps 3 through 17 on the right side of the vehicle.
19. Lower the vehicle from the hoist.
20. Place the vehicle on an alignment rack.
21. Install the wheel alignment equipment onto the vehicle per alignment equipment
manufacturer’s instructions and set toe to + 0.10º (± 0.06º).
Service Procedure (Continued)
Figure 3
Safety Recall D47 -- Upper Ball Joints Page 5
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the
DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims
submitted will be used by DaimlerChrysler to record recall service completions
and provide dealer payments.
Use the following labor operation number and time allowance:
Labor Operation Time
Number Allowance
Replace right and left upper ball
joints (includes toe adjustment) 02-D4-71-82 1.6 hours
Add the cost of the parts package if necessary plus applicable dealer allowance to
your claim.
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing
Section, for complete claim processing instructions.
All dealers will receive a copy of this dealer recall notification letter by mail. Two
additional copies will be sent through the DCMMS. To view this recall on
DealerCONNECT, select TechCONNECT on the Service tab, click on “Search
Bulletins/Recallsâ€, enter the recall code and then click on the “Search†button.
All involved vehicle owners known to DaimlerChrysler are being notified of the
service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule
appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter
is attached.
Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification postcard to allow owners
to update our records if applicable.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Dealer Notification
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
Safety Recall D47 -- Upper Ball Joints Page 6
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall
System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
Involved dealers were also mailed a copy of their vehicle (VIN) list with the dealer
recall notification letter.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete
vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known.
Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim
submission.
To use this system, click on the “Service†tab and then click on “Global Recall
System.†Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those
vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip
code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery.
Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule
appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that
was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information
is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please
contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services Field Operations
DaimlerChrysler Corporation
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
Additional Information
SAFETY RECALL – UPPER BALL JOINTS
Dear: (Name)
DaimlerChrysler Corporation has determined that the upper ball joints may progressively wear out on
some 2000 through early-2003 model year Dodge Durango 4x4 vehicles and Dodge Dakota 4x4
pick-up trucks.
The problem is... Water may enter into the front suspension upper ball joints on your vehicle
(VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and cause corrosion. Over an extended period of
time, a “clunking†noise can develop in the front suspension due to progressive
ball joint wear. If this noise is ignored, the front wheel assembly could separate
from the vehicle.
What your dealer
will do...
DaimlerChrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do
this, your dealer will replace both front suspension upper ball joints. The work will
take about two hours to complete. However, additional time may be necessary
depending on how dealer appointments are scheduled and processed.
What you must
do to ensure your
safety...
Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the
dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle or to order them before your appointment.
Remember to bring this letter with you to your dealer.
If you need
help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please
contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-853-1403.
Please help us update our records, by filling out the enclosed prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions
listed on the card apply to you or your vehicle. Be sure to print the last eight (8) characters of the VIN
(VVVVVVVV) and notification code D47 on the postcard.
If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may send your
original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement:
DaimlerChrysler, P.O. Box 610207, Port Huron, MI 48061-0207, Attention: Reimbursement.
If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time, you
may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
400 Seventh Street, S.W., Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at
1-888-327-4236.
We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your
attention to this important matter.
Customer Services Field Operations
DaimlerChrysler Corporation
Notification Code D47
Note to lessors receiving this recall: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:58 AM
datacop
Rookie

/Nod..

My truck is currently on the lift getting the repair work done.

New steering rack, tie rod, tie rod ends, lower ball joint (driver) and half shaft and rim. The upper ball joints on the driver and pass side are being replaced as part of the recall (and cause the driver side failed ).

According to the service dealer that is doing mine, they have to wait an extra day because the part numbers aren't the same on the recall package as the old replacement ball joint packs.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Lianimal
Rookie

If there's anyone in the NYC area that needs the recall work done, Paramus Dodge on Rt. 4 will have the parts early next week to start. I called around this morning to 4 other dealers in the area and the rest said they doubted they would have them before the new year.

Quick Reply: 2000-2003 Durango Recall