1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 11:13 PM
emwardjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall

I have a 1998 "D" and am wondering about the upper ball joints. I went to my dealer today and asked about my year and the chance that the older D's were just as prone to failure and the 2000 to 2002 models. I got the impression that they were unsure and didn't want to commit.

My question is are the upper ball joints the same for my model (1998) as the 2000-2002 recalls? If the wheel is going to fall off I certainly won't mind my cost if not under the recall notice.

Any help or comments would be welcomed.

Regards,

Ed

Old 12-11-2004, 12:40 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Recall

DCX (Dodge) has agreed to the government "suggested" recall....I'd strongly suggest you call your nearest Dodge dealer for the exact details, ASAP!!!

Old 12-11-2004, 01:15 AM
datacop
Rookie

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in660217.shtml

The automaker will repair vehicles for free starting next month. It costs between $750 and $1,200 to replace the ball joint, depending on the dealer and the area, according to a lawsuit filed against DaimlerChrysler by Durango owners in North Carolina.
This is the part that really conserns me..

Right now, my Durango is sitting in the service department parking lot, with my drivers side front wheel somewhere in the shop. Will I have to pay for my repairs now, then in January submit the bill to DCX for refund? What about the rental vehicle I had to get since my car is currently a gimp 3 legged dog?

I could scrounge enough together to get the parts to do the repairs myself.. but I'd rather have DCX pay the dealership to do it (I don't like to get my hands dirty unless I really have to).

This part is also interesting:
The frenzy over the Durango offered an unusual glimpse into the auto recall process. NHTSA often sends letters recommending a recall, but the letters aren't usually publicized. The agency then works with automakers to determine when the recall will take place.
That to me, is echoing the power of the internet and it's ability for mass communication. A NHTSA recommendation gets leaked.. and the frenzy around it prods a major automobile maker is spurred into fast tracking a major recall to save public "shame on you" syndrom.

I just want my truck back in solid reliable condition.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:20 AM
vlsun
Veteran

my dad has a 98 dakota and it's been replaced twice. the first time it happened i thought i messed it up because i drove it so hard but it happened again recently from normal use so that is definately sketchy. luckily i had noticed the problem soon before the wheel had a chance to fall off.

Quick Reply: Recall