Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case

I don't think so. [:'(]

My owners manual states LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENIAL-OPTION so I did a little more research.

Sorry but Chrysler did offer it.

Now I included supportive information in the link provided. In the manual 1997-2000 there are the following diff's avalible.

http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/Jeep%...fer%20Case.pdf

I have a 9.25 which is a LIMITED SLIP rear axel with 3:92 ratio.

Now what it looks like is the Front axel's are all open. [sm=oopssign.gif]

n8ech

There is no change in either your front or diffs regardless of what mode your T case is in. By selecting 4 lock, the 4wd mode is engaged and power is now sent to the front as well as the rear driveshaft as Hydra stated. The "locking" denotes that the front and rear driveshafts are locked together, which is why the part time systems can not be used on hard surfaces without excess tire /driveline binding.
You mean the Part Time NV-242-HD. ONLY this case has a clutch built inside that allows slippage only in the 4 FT selection. On this case the 4 PT Hiselection cannot be used on hard dry surfaces. It is only used for Part Time Use Only when extra traction is needed.

Now on the same NV-242-HD case there is a selection for 4 FT Hi. This Full Time selection can be used on All Road Surfaces.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: desertracer
It would be IMPOSSIBLE to run a limited slip or locker in the front differential without manual locking hubs (the ones you have to get out and lock manually on each front wheel).
The axels are directlly locked into the diff's. Then the axels are locked directly into the wheels. There is no hubs. The front is locked in and turns all the time into the transfer case. The transfer case locks to provide power when it is engaged. When its not engaged it only spins on bearings.

ARB Air Lockers operates like a factory open differential when unlocked. You push the button for mechanical lock.

So I'm going to ask you WHY would a locker not work!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: tbasse01

ok hydra now I am confused well kinda

what model is my transfer case? cause it is not as common as I think

it only has 2wd and 4lock on the **** on the dash

it is on a 2002 4.7 L SXT model durango? oh if it matters it is hooked up to the 5 speed tranny which was the first time it was offered in 2002
That year came with a choise of two.
Full-time (NV-244-HD) or Part-time system (NV-233-HD)

Your transfer caseshould be the NV-233-HD. This was the standard case.
The trany is a 5-speed, 5-45 RFE

Old 02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
desertracer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker
Now what it looks like is the Front axel's are all open. [sm=oopssign.gif]
Isn't that what I said?
I never even mentioned the rear axle or transfer cases and their operation for that matter. None of that means squat in my argument because I'm only talking about the front differential.

I only said certain types of lockers will work in the front. A full-time locker or limited slip would not work in the front because of the lack of manual locking hubs. Since the wheels are always locked to the axles, like you stated, and the axles are always locked to the diff, like you stated, a locker would cause the front tires to bind really badly and would not allow them to differentiate around corners. This is ok for the rear as the tires just skip around corners. The front is a different ball game because you add steering to the mix. That's why the only lockers that can be installed in the front are those that can be disengaged for street use, like an ARB, cable or electric locker. It is not possible to install a full-time locker like a Detroit in the front. On older vehicles with manual locking hubs, you can install any locker. This is because the switches on the front hubs would disengage the wheels from the axles and the differential wouldn't even spin going down the road. When off road or in the snow, the hubs could be locked in and the transfer case put in 4wd and you have a fully locked front end.

It doesn't matter what transfer case you have or what mode its in it all comes down to the front wheels always being locked in to the diff.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:47 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydra:

You need to read the post a little better. Sometimes I am guilty of the same thing.

Again, I never said that Chrysler did not offer a limited slip option. What I said is that all Durango rear ends EXCEPT the R/T package came standard with open carriers. The R/T had the LS carrier standard.Otherwise, the LS carrier was a stand alone option forthe restof them.

However, this option was for the rear axle only. For the reasons repeated here several times, LS is not a factory option for the front.

If one elected to install a locker in front, that would be fine as things would behave normally for everyday driving when the locker was not "locked."

Tbasse says he has the 2 speed part time case on his SXT model 2002.As we discussed, that would be the NV133 2 speed part time case. All of the SXT D's I have seen had the 2 speed case.

Don

Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Sorry guys.

Here is some great info. Tbasse
http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/dodge/durango_2002/index.asp

n8ech
I wastalking about 1998-1999. The R/T didn't make its presentation until 2000. Maybe I got off the bus someware else.

Man I knew that starting this thread would bring in some good thoughts. This was the reason for bringing up this touchy thread. I did this for a reason as people need to be able to search for good info. Now come on what other info can we throw in here.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Kohburn
Amateur

ORIGINAL: desertracer

you were probably looking at a breaher hose...just lets the diff breath.

ALL Durango front differentials are OPEN...not limited slip or locked or posi or anything...OPEN. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to run a limited slip or locker in the front differential without manual locking hubs (the ones you have to get out and lock manually on each front wheel). One exception is an aftermarket selectable locker..the kind that can be disengaged for street use...like an ARB air locker or a cable locker. Or there is a lunchbox locker but I won't get into those.

Moral of the story....if you have a Durango, the front differential is OPEN. Unless somebody messed with it.
impossible to run a locker maybe - but not a limited slip, thats just plain wrong.

limited slips are available forand sometimes stock in a lot of FWD cars, there is no difference functionally between the differential for a fwd car and the front diff on a 4wd/awd

with the aftermarket support subarus can have limited slips on all 3 differentials.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
desertracer

You're right Kohburn...not sure what I was thinking. You can run a limited slip in our front ends. Just not a locker. I knew that too. My buddy even has one in the front of his jeep, which is the same basic design as a Durango. It does tend to act funny though and when it comes time for the limited slip to do its job (in the snow, dirt, etc) it always lets him down and acts like an open differential. That's why he's replacing it with an air locker.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 PM
durangoguy16
Rookie

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker
1. Regular NV-231-HD
2. Part Time NV-242-HD

These T-Cases were installed in the 1998, 1999 models. Fluid type is Dextron III Automatic Transmission Fluid or Chrysler ATF+3 Type 7176 Automatic Transmission fluid ONLY!
I recommend only using ATF+3 Type 7176 fluid.
Are you sure its dextron? I have a 98 Durango with 5.9 and a 242-HD I called up the dealer and they said ATF-4 only. I told them i mistakenly put in dextron 3 and they said drain it all and put in aft-4

Old 02-10-2008, 02:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yes I'm sure! Icopied it right out ofthe owners manual.

ATF+4 is the new kid on the block. It has the same additives and a little bit more that the ATF+3 type 7176.

I don't like Dextron III.

I always use ATF+3 type 7176.

Sounds like the dealer got an extra penney out of you. (AKA the Stealer Ship)

Quick Reply: Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case