1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case

Automatic Transmission fluid is ATF+3 only in the 1998-1999 models only according to the owners manual. I always go from the owners manual and have been reassured by the biggest names in the business for OEM or rebuilt transmissions.

Also I never put anything inside that is after market fluid additives. These are not regulated by the Fed's and so they can put anything inside of them and sell it. The owners manual makes direct statements NOT to use these in their vehicles.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

delete

Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 PM
durangoguy16
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Yes I'm sure! Icopied it right out ofthe owners manual.

ATF+4 is the new kid on the block. It has the same additives and a little bit more that the ATF+3 type 7176.

I don't like Dextron III.

I always use ATF+3 type 7176.

Sounds like the dealer got an extra penney out of you. (AKA the Stealer Ship)

So ATF-4 is ok? I dont have to drain it all and add ATF-3? I didnt buy the ATF-4 from the stealership.. I called them and so they had nothing to gain by it. So I guess the better question should be whats the differance between ATF-3 ATF-4 and Dextron III?? How exactly do they work and does adding Lucas oil help or hurt? Also in the Transfer case does it HAVE to be ATF 3-4? Or could i use full Lucas oil? What is in trans fluid that a transfer case needs other than lubrication? Sorry a lot of questions that i have wondered for a while.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Pennzoil proves it's self wrong. Look at the astrek.
http://64.207.133.242:8124/products/...ids/index.html

http://www.forwardlook.net/iml-archive/msg115363.html

I am going to email some companys and get the real info.

Lucus stabilizer is crap in my book. Like I said before NONE OF THAT CRAP IS REGULATED BY THE FED's. Those companys can put anything they want in that stuff.

Lot's of people swear by it. NOT ME

It is the same fluid in the transfer case as the trans. I would ONLY put in ATF+3 TYPE 7176

Old 02-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Kohburn
Amateur

ever mess around with the little lucas oil stabilizer gear crank display in the parts store? notice how it fills with air bubble? how do you think your differential gears will like air bubbles in its lubricant?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 PM
durangoguy16
Rookie

Pennzoil proves it's self wrong. Look at the astrek.
http://64.207.133.242:8124/products/...ids/index.html

http://www.forwardlook.net/iml-archive/msg115363.html

I am going to email some companys and get the real info.

Lucus stabilizer is crap in my book. Like I said before NONE OF THAT CRAP IS REGULATED BY THE FED's. Those companys can put anything they want in that stuff.

Lot's of people swear by it. NOT ME

It is the same fluid in the transfer case as the trans. I would ONLY put in ATF+3 TYPE 7176
Hydrashocker,
I read all those clips on the different aft fluids but i honestly dont see a differance in any of them even after reading the descriptions. So I guess I have to just go by the owners manual and go with ATF-3... As expensive as ATF-4 is im not going to drain it all right away and change the filter. but i am going to use ATF-3 next time i change the filter.
ALSO the T-case to my knowledge from rebuilding my tcase 3 times doesnt have any clutch type parts in it only has moving gears.. Why is trans fluid needed in the Tcase instead of say motor oil or something? I DO use ATF-4 in my t-case also im just curious as to why atf is needed in the t-case.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

First off:

WHY THE HELL DID YOU HAVE TO REBUILD THE TRANSFER CASE 3 TIMES???????

Second, there is relief in the PT to FT selections. If not there wouldn't be a difference it the two????????

I'm sure the fluid is ok. But if you just rebuilt the case then a flush would be a good thing.

As for the last question. The fluid is built for the T-case. I don't have a enginer degree. Man I'm only a mod. LOL

Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 AM
durangoguy16
Rookie

I think i said 3 times but i meant 2. i originaly rebuilt it because the wear clicps wore out and then the shift fork itself wore the heck out metal on metal isnt good..... so i rebuilt it for that.. put it all back in and thenhad a freezeout plug behind the strans bellhousing rust out and gush out water/coolant.. so i pulled the whole trans and t-case as one thing.I wanted to replce LL the gaskect that were leaking and the one that was leakiing on the t-case was the small gasket on the shift selector **** and the ONLY way to replace that seal is to crack open the t-case gain so i did just to replace that seal... that will teach me to replace all i can while its out so i dont have to pull it agian....
HERE is a pict of the shift fork after the wear clips wore off and the fork itself started to wear out..

First off:

WHY THE HELL DID YOU HAVE TO REBUILD THE TRANSFER CASE 3 TIMES???????

Second, there is relief in the PT to FT selections. If not there wouldn't be a difference it the two????????

I'm sure the fluid is ok. But if you just rebuilt the case then a flush would be a good thing.

As for the last question. The fluid is built for the T-case. I don't have a enginer degree. Man I'm only a mod. LOL

Quick Reply: Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case