1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

help suspension!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default help suspension!!

ok so heres the problem this weekend i went away and my dad was driving my truck and he heard my rear drum squeak that has been bothering me for months and when he looked under the truck for the problem
(here is new problem)

he found that the bump stops on both sides of the truck are destroyed, the passenger side is just about completely fallen off so when we replace them what i need to know is how much space should be btwn the rubber and the plate that they hit??? bc my truck only has a very little bit of space in there maybe enough room to fit my little finger(this is with the truck being on the ground)

and how hard is it to replace these?? i havnt had a chance to look really hard, but do they just bolt on or is there more to it that that???

o it has 72000 on it my parents bought it new followed maintance to the letter, and is stock height could this have been caused bc the front shocks are bad and allowing too much travel???

thanks for reading my reaalllly long post and any ideas are appreciated

Old 04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
deerang
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help suspension!!

there was a thread very recently about somebody replacing these rubber "jouncers"..

i believe there is a post that you slide these foam bumpers over and they act as a preliminary bump stop..

I'm guessing a lot of bottoming out, or suspension travel, or even t-bar sag can cause these to get abused.. and even over time water/salt/dirt can cause these to become deteriorated over time..

I can look for the thread for you, it was most likely within the past two months.. I'll look later tonight when I'm not supposed ot be studying..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On the rear axel I have a measurement of 6 1/2" from the top of the U-bolts to the bottom of the housing (medal) of the bump stop. To replace these there is only one bolt. 15mm socket if I remember right. The other side just sits inside the frame on a hanger. You will see.VERY EASY!

On the front I have a measurement of about 1 1/2" to the bottom of the housing. In this one I can barely put my little finger inside and it is squished. Maybe a torsion lift is needed for mine. On the front I've never replaced those. They do look easy tho.

I just installed air bags on the rear axels and so maybe I'll lift it.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

BTW

If your front bump stops are the ones you are worried about then if they are as close as mine I bet the shocks let them bump too much and took them out.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

it is the front ones, and there is almost nothing left of them they are hanging on in pieces and yes i thought that the schocks were bad too, have not gotten to check them, and the front i can barely get my fingers in between the rubber stop and the frame

they are only 30 bucks at the stealership so not too expensive, just that my dad told me that he has never had them wear out before on any of his trucks,

and also on his dakota the front bumps have a pinky and ring finger(both together) of space that you can get btwn them

Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

IDK,
i cut mine off, no issues. i don't hit them anyways

Old 04-14-2008, 09:06 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks

check to see ifone of the leaf springs is broke. mostly itwill be the second leaf. a inch or two behind the axel.
also if your shocks are weak they mightlet the axel hit the bumper.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 AM
deerang
All Star

Here you go shtr.. this is the thread I'd said I'd deliver..
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1159202/tm.htm

Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I've seen it where the bump stops are directly touching. I think mechanics slowly lower your rig to keep the camber in. They should adjust it not just lowerthe tortion. This is the easy way!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

holy **** thanks alot deerang that looks like exactly what went bad, but now im going to check on the rest of the stops too make sure they are all ok if i replace just those thanks for all your help, and i also plan on replacing the shocks now i figure they are bad and thats what destroyed them

Quick Reply: help suspension!!