1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

need tires... help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:02 PM
marshman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need tires... help

ok what are the biggest tires i can fit under my 99 slt with stock ride height? stock 15in rims as well

i'm really wanting 33's but i don't want rubbing... obviously...

so what are my options? and reccomendations would help too

thanks in advance

Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 PM
deerang
All Star
Default RE: need tires... help

I have almost new 31's all around, and I get very slight rubbing.. They are Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour and the driver side rubs the end of the bumper when turning left..

so what I'm saying is you're pretty much stuck to 31's at stock height..

My goodyears are awesome on the road, very quiet, good in rain and fresh snow and slush, average on packed snow.. I havent taken them on a trail yet, so I dunno how they do in the dirt, etc.. But for all on-road good tire for the price..

People swear by the BFGoodrich All Terrains though, it's probably the most popular tire for SUV and light trucks out there...

Old 04-15-2008, 06:26 PM
marshman

i was actually looking at both of those on tire rack's website...

bummer that i couldn't even pull off some 32's, but at least now i won't have to have my speedo recalibrated for my tires.
also is there any difference between 31x10.5x15 and 235/75r15?
tire rack says there's 2 different oem sizes but i'm pretty sure it's just the metric equivalent. i find it strange, though, that they have 2 different prices for the "same size" so that's why i'm questioning it.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:43 PM
deerang
All Star

I'm sure you could give your tbars a couple cranks to clear 32's... I mean its only .5 inch more you have to clear..

the 235's are actually a smaller tire.. they are like 29 x 9.25 x 15.. i think it was a factory tire for a low model, or maybe its just a cheaper replacement tire... There is a D here at school that looks like its prolly on those 235's, without factory fender flares too, the thing just looks tiny... i think its a 98 sport model, very few options on it..

Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 PM
marshman

sports came with a small lift though, didn't they? i had a '00 dak sport 4wd (oem sizes)and it was a bit higher up than other daks around town on oem sizes. probably about 1-2 inches. durangos may be different though.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 AM
deerang
All Star

maybe it wasn't a sport, it was like a SXT, I don't know models (I have an SLT and I don't know what that even entails)... but it is the lowest model.. no fender flares, full cloth interior....

Old 04-16-2008, 04:17 AM
marshman

so i officially almost totaled it today when the smooth tread on the right rear decided to flake off leaving me with a 4-5 inch wide area of wires around the whole tire... lucky i stayed on the road. i had to hit the brakes and i just thought "well that's next on the list" (which it already is anyways) but it wasn't my abs screwing up... i was just shooting sparks because my tire locked up. little did i know that about 2 miles back, i was hitting the truck behind me with little rubber corn flakes.

as beat and ragged as my durango is, i'm suprised the spare actually holds air. the sidewall looks like it should at least have a slow leak as well. the spare rim is in pretty sorry shape from rubbing underneath because the cable holding it up wasn't as tight as it should have been. go figure. if i hadn't had any experience racing auto-x, i definately wouldn't have been able to save it and i'd be out approx $6400 (with all the work i've had done to it because of a very neglectful previous owner plus shipping from queens as well)

anyways, i'm definately ordering tires tomorrow

Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 AM
deerang
All Star

what are you going to be ordering?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 AM
dwhisnant

ORIGINAL: marshman

i was actually looking at both of those on tire rack's website...

bummer that i couldn't even pull off some 32's, but at least now i won't have to have my speedo recalibrated for my tires.
also is there any difference between 31x10.5x15 and 235/75r15?
tire rack says there's 2 different oem sizes but i'm pretty sure it's just the metric equivalent. i find it strange, though, that they have 2 different prices for the "same size" so that's why i'm questioning it.
Just a thought on the two OEM sizes. I noticed that tire rack didn't ask for 4x2 or 4x4 when I checked on tires for my 99 4x2. I know for sure it came stock with 235/75R15. Was that possibly the case then that the 4x4's all came with 31x10.5x15?

I've often wondered why the 4x4 looked a couple inches taller than my 4x2, but always chalked it up to suspension (which could play into it some too). But the tire alone would add an inch of height difference.

I may have to put some 31x10.5x15's on when my Pep Boys, Hankook passenger tires wear out.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 PM
marshman

i'm getting the bf goodrich all terrain t/a ko's

i've heard only good things about them and it's not a bad price either, so i'm set

as far as putting 31's on your 2wd... don't... there's really no reason to make a 2wd higher off the ground. if my d was 2wd, it would drag the frame. that's like lowering a 4wd. it doesn't make sense...

Quick Reply: need tires... help