1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replaced Oil Pump, now no pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
vandentr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Oil Pump, now no pressure???

Ok,

1999 5.2 - 318, 175,000 miles

Initial Issue:
Rear Main Seal & Oil Pan Gasket leaking

Steps taken:
1) Removed oil pan - This job was UNREAL! I'd sure like to know what the most efficient way to do this is on the '99 4WD Durango's? Had to drop the front differential, drop the steering rack, pry"engine-to-tranny" mounting plate (drivers side)out of the way to get at pan bolts and for the pan to drop. Thankthe Lordfor air tools!!!!

2) Removedoil pump - No problems with this

3) Removed rear cap - No problems with this

4) Replaced rear main seal - No problems with this

5) Torqued cap to 85ft/lbs

6) Primed & Installed brand new oil pump w/ paper gasket (reusedpickup tube after thorough cleaning*)

7) RTV'd new perma-seal pan gasket to block.

8) Installed the cleanedup oil pan

9) Bolted everything back together - PITA!!!

10) Addednew oil.

Now, when we started it up, the dashboard pressure guage reads dead zero - even after 30 seconds. I've NEVER had a problem with oil pressure.Shut it down, restart -same thing. Shut it down, restart,this timewerev the engine a bit - still nothing. Oddly, no valve ticking, no knocking, sounds like normal!

Does ANYBODY have an idea about where to start with this one?

* The only thing I am concerned about is the tightness of the picup tube. I could easilyswing it back and forthas it sat bolted to the cap prior to installing the pan. Is this too lose? Could that cause zero pressure?

Does ANYBODY have an idea about where to start with this one? I am so frustrated about the potential necessity of pulling the pan!

Thanks!
TVB

Old 05-01-2008, 10:38 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Replaced Oil Pump, now no pressure???

TVB:

As you found out, getting the oil pan off on one of these is no picnic. I have never done a Dodge oil pump, but all the onesI have done had a very snug fit for the pickup. Hopefully the pickup did not come off as you reinstalled the pan.

When you primed the pump, did you use oil or vaseline? I am sure that either one will do, but the vaseline won't run out like the oil will.

In any case, I think before you pull the pan back off, I would get a mechanical gauge on the engine toconfirm that you have no pressure. You also might consider pulling the distributor and attempting to prime the pumpusing an electric drill with the appropriate adapter.

There are not too many things that can be wrong. Hopefully it is an easy remedy that does not involve the pan.

Don

Old 05-02-2008, 07:05 AM
vandentr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,

Thanks for the reply.

After talking to a few 'experts' I've concluded the the pickup tube justisn't tight enough. It wasn't loose enough to come off but it certainly wasn't snug either. I'm convinced that it's pulling air at the connection.

I'll let ya know how it pans out this weekend!

Thaks again,
TVB

Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First thing, unloosen the oil filter to alow any air lock to disengage. This same thing happened to me on a Ford. With the oil pump and filter I had an air lock. Basicly, losen it to alow air or oil to spill out. Start the motor and have someone watch it. When oil comes out kill the engine. Tighten the filter then restart. If no oil is flowing try a different filter.

Also you can take out the senser and cover the whole with a towel and crank it over for and look for presure. Bolt of these will require two people. I hope the pickup tube was installed correctly. It looks like it has the abillity to move. I see no gasket of way to tighten it into the pump.

One time I even had to put pressure (25 lbs. pneumatic) to thecrank caseto prime.

Quick Reply: Replaced Oil Pump, now no pressure???