1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 PM
dgarcia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating problems

2000 dodge durango, i have a new water pump, new thermostat and new hoses, truck is still overheating... no more leaks from water pump, but truck still overheating.. why? the top radiator hose is hot, so i am assuming water is going thru? i have a dumb question also, after getting new water pump on and hose, i am assuming that there is no water in the truck? so i filled the coolant reservoir w/water, and started the truck, would the pump suck out some if not most of the water, because it didnt, i did notice some bubbles but water level didnt really go down? i do have antifreeze that i am going to put in it, i just wanted to use water to test for leaks, antifreeze isnt cheap!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 AM
daddy_bear_21
Default RE: overheating problems

this may sound like a dumb question, but did you refill the radiator? My opinion, you either have a blockage, or the water pump is rotating the wrong direction. I am sure these are not the only things to look for, but it's a start...

Old 04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
noregrets
Rookie

Dg, I went through that not long ago. Replaced everything and it would still run hot. Many parts and lots of hair pulling from hubby later it turned out to be a hairline crack in my head gasket.

Ang

Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garcia:

You must fill the system via the filler neck in the hose. The system will not pull fluid from the reservior until it is cooling off. If you have the 4.7 motor, you must remove the bleed screw next to the upper hose while you refill. If not, top off radiator via filler neck, the idle and add as air escapes and level goes down until full.

Don

Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As n8ech advised, 4.7 need to be bled. I searched your posts, whats your model/engine/etc??????????????????????
Also did you put the correct thermostat in?(temp)
When you filled the system, did you run the engine with the cap off(Better if slanted front up) until the thermostat opened to refill after system purges air??
Was the radiator cleaned?
Overheating @ what temp?
Use water wetter?
[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 PM
dgarcia

thank you all for the advice, i feel like a jackass
the upper radiator hose with the BIG RADIATOR CAP sitting right on top of it, i totally forgot to put water in it, i thought for some reason that the water would b sucked out of the reservoir instantly and i would keep filling it up. everything is working fine now, you know i was able to change the water pump, take out the radiator and put it back in, take off the fan clutch and put it back on, and after all of that i forget TO FILL THE RADIATOR WITH WATER... anyways thanks for the advice

Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice to see you back on the road again. Sometime just the small things are forgoten. This is why we have some great people here. **** just happens!

Quick Reply: overheating problems