1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Working on a tune-up, need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:22 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Working on a tune-up, need some advice...

Nice to see that the plugs are working out. I wonder if they will do good with my ignition.

I pay $24.95 and can pick it up for about $18 on sale sometimes for Mobil One 5 Quart container. With this you can get a total oil change for ujnder $30 including filter.

I understand the RP deal. But there are too many companys out there that don't have to report to the fed's justlike I said before in many other threads. Mobil has to meet these guide lines. Not to mention, I've seen the test results period! Mobil One kicks some serious ***.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
DDSXT
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't bother with synthetic for my differential.I looked up the requirements for my 4.7L 4x2 and it wasn't required. I just recently changed out the coolant, the fluid and filter in the tranny, and the differential fluid.

I'll probably do the plugs next and use the Champions.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Kensia,

I said that they were being tested. I'm glad you like them. Not saying that you didn't but that they were being reviewed. But I still amnot convinced that they are worth the initial investment.

DDSXT,

I know that you truck doesn't call for Fully Synthetic, but it is the best thing out there. Something like the diff's that go 30K between changes Synthetic is really the only way to go.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Justin_98Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the topic of Synthetic Oil, does anyone use or know of any personnal results of the AMSOIL brand? They talk alot about in comparative tests, we smoke the competition? Is there any 'Oil' to sit on the water in this discussion? I am looking at changing my d to full synthetic, motor, f/r dif's, and t-case. Just looking at all options.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Again, I like Mobil because I know one of the Chemical Engineers that used to test it. In Fact they are part of my family.

There are many small companies out there that promise great effects. The fact of the matter is:

A lot of these small companies put additives into their product that we know nothing about. The problem with this is the additives are not regulated by the federals. Just like herbs, they are not regulated by the FDA so they can put anything in them and sell them with promises.
I've personally seen companies use mineral oil in their products. They can do this because they are selling them under exempt status.

Mobil, Pennzoil, and others have strict regulations they must follow. They are regulated. They build oil to work in new cars and have done so for years. Manufactures go to the oil companies to have this done. Have you ever noticed they never go to these small companies?????? Think about this for a minute?????? Look in the owners manual, what does it say regarding these type of products??????

My take on the whole thing is this. From personal usage, break down, formulation, Regulationary Law, and the FACT of non regulated product.I don't use them nor do I recomend them!

Quick Reply: Working on a tune-up, need some advice...