1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Working on a tune-up, need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
daddy_bear_21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working on a tune-up, need some advice...

So, we have had our durango for a few months now, and want to do some maint. work on it. It has over 93K on it, and I dont know what the previous owners did to it. I am wanting to replace the plugs and wires, as well as the air filter. I am wanting to to put a K&N type filter in, is there one everyone prefers over the other, and why? Also, what plugs should I use? Is there a particular type of wire I should use for this truck, or would any work? I am not looking for performance, so much as a solid running truck. We are going to be going on a 1300 mile drive in the summer, and dont want any trouble. We recently replaced the water pump, and radiator, so thats not an issue. What other suggestions would you all make?

Thanks in advance,

Bear

Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Working on a tune-up, need some advice...

Bear:

Sounds like you have the right idea. Plugs, wires, rotor, cap all sound good if they are well worn. Also, your tranny, t case, both front and rear diffs should have new fluids every 30k. Go with a good synthetic like Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. The tranny should get the appropriate OEM fluid. Cooling system should also be flushed and refilled every 30k or 4 years unless you put the long life stuff back in.

This ought to get you started. Don

Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 AM
daddy_bear_21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I intend to do diff fluid changes, which fluid would you recommend, royal purple or mobile one? I have heard good stuff about both of them. What about specs, how much fluid for each diff? Should I go with a copper plug, or platinum? What kind of wires should I use to get the most mileage?

I intend to flush the coolant system, and the trans, as well as the power steering system. The brakes have been recently redone, so thats good.

I am still wanting to replace the paper filter with a more high flow type filter. Any ideas as to how to set it up?

Thank you for the help,

Bear

Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

D bear:

What engine doyou have???

Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are good. I find the RP to be a bit cheaper.IIRC, I bought 3 quarts last time I did my diffs.I did not pull the covers, just pumped the old out and the new in. You might want to get 4 just to be safe.

Alot of folks run Autolites or the Champion OEM plugs. The OEM ones are only good for ~30k.

Some believe running anything platinum subjects your engine to voodoo. I have had the platinum equivalent to the OEM plug in for ~40K, and so far so good.

One thing I don't buy into is all of hype about multiple electrodes and such. If that crap was worth its salt, they would be OEM.

Don

Old 05-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Overcast72
Rookie

Dont forget your PCV valve and may as well replace the rubber hose going to it too. Just to cheap and easy to miss it while you are dug into the rest.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I prefer Mobil One over RP anyday. Synthetics are the way to go.

If youhave the 4.7L there are no wires, cap, or rotor. Just the plugs. Just get some Regular Champion plugs (OEM).

On the 5.2L/5.9L I recomend a rotor and cap that have BRASS contacts. They are much better. Get the OEM wires from the dealer or MSD 8.5mm wires only. Regular champion plugs will do. Do not put any type of Platinum plug into these motors period!

Some guys like to run Champion Truck Plugs like me or there is some testing going on on the newer Iridium plug. I don't think for the $ that the Iridium plug is worth it.

Don't forget the trany. Do a drain and filter as well as a band adjustment. Only use approved fluids located in the owners manual. Don't forget about the T-case.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Overcast72
Rookie

If you want to really polish the job off - get you some wire looms too. It would be downright sexy, hehe

http://www.made4uproducts.com/wire_looms.htm

Don't let their plain looking web page fool you - they make a good product, I've heard. But even your local store will likely have a selection too.

Of course - to get that just right, sometimes you need to cut and crimp a universal set. I think I might give that a try next time around. If you google 'spark plug wire looms' - you can find a ton - some with Mopar/Dodge on them - whatever your taste might be.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Overcast72

If you want to really polish the job off - get you some wire looms too. It would be downright sexy, hehe

http://www.made4uproducts.com/wire_looms.htm

Don't let their plain looking web page fool you - they make a good product, I've heard. But even your local store will likely have a selection too.

Of course - to get that just right, sometimes you need to cut and crimp a universal set. I think I might give that a try next time around. If you google 'spark plug wire looms' - you can find a ton - some with Mopar/Dodge on them - whatever your taste might be.
I really like the look dude.

I have seen things like these before but I really like these ones in particular.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Hydra;

As far as I know, RP is synthetic and gets very good reviews also. Kind of neat to see the Purple oil.

I was able to by RP for $9 a quart as opposed to around $14 a quart for the M1.

Don

Old 05-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

N8ech,

Where do you get those quotes from? It's way too expensive? Walmart sells M1 and RP way cheaper than that. I buy the 5 quart bottles for M1 as my VW calls for 5w50 and ran me around $35. Forgot how much the RP runs but do not recall that high per quart.

Hydra,

The Champion Iridium plugs are worth every cent. Ever since I upgraded to these plugs, my trucks starts up with a flick of the key vs a full couple seconds on the key for the regular plugs. My 5.9 also idles alot smoother with these plugs. They are good for 100k so get your money's worth.

Quick Reply: Working on a tune-up, need some advice...