1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trying to diagnose a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Richwang
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to diagnose a problem

I have a 99 5.2 V8 Durango and I have been encountering some problems primarily with power. I have a landscaping buisness and tow a trailer with this SUV and it seems to have lost a great deal of power quickly. It has little low end torque and it takes a lot to get the trailer moving (same trailer that i have been towing for a couple seasons). When parked up a slight incline, i sometimes need to put the pedal to the floor to get moving and once i get moving above 5 mph or so it seems like all the sudden it has power and takes off. the car seems to whine or whistle when it is put in gear and when i give it gas but goes away once above like 5 mph. I checked trany fluid and it is okay but i plan on changing the fluid and filter later this week. Any other suggestions? Exhaust? Fuel Filter?

I can tell you more symptoms if needed.

Any help is appreciated thank you!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
ghoghunter
Default RE: Trying to diagnose a problem

I just changed my filter and fluid and it made a big diff. but what are your other problems? Is it time for a tune up?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:46 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Maybe the cats are plugging up. That would cause a whistle sound and lack of power.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 PM
myns
Rookie

i was thinkin cat too cause it happened to me but i lost it even on the highway and it was pulling misfire codes. its possible but sounds like its in the tranny to me

Old 05-08-2008, 10:56 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RW:

Sounds to me like your tranny might be starting off in second gear. Count the shifts as you drive. Are you getting 2 or 3?? You should be getting 3 as in 1-2, 2-3, and then OD. You should also see another small rpm drop as the convertor locks up.

Are you seeing any CE lights?? Try manually selecting 1st gear to start off, then manually upshifting to see if you note any incresein power.

Don
Don

Quick Reply: Trying to diagnose a problem