1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

towing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:50 PM
mr_president
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing question

I know there are many other threads covering this topic, but thought i would get some opinions anyway. I have a 2000 4.7l SLT. It has the 3.55 GR and i believe it has the towing package (gonna find out forsure though). I am moving from Ontario to Alberta, and have another car along with the D, so thinking about towing the car behind the D with a u-haul 2 axle trailer. The car is a 2004 Dodge SRT-4. So assuming i have the towing package, how much trouble will i have pulling the car with the D? Personally i think it can handle it, but would like to get some different opinions who may have better knowledge/experience for these things. Thanks.

- Paul

Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: towing question

Paul:

IIRC, the setup you describe for a D puts you around 6k towing capacity. Between the Neon and the trailerI would not think you are going to exceed that. If your D has the factory hitch and the wiring harness, chances are you have the TP.

Many of us have come to the consensus that the 4.7 liter option should have had the 3.92 gear as standard. Although the 4.7 is a great motor, it just does not have the torque down low to pull the D's 4800 pounds around on any kind of a grade without a downshift.

Luckily, myD rarely sees a trailer behind it, so the 3.55 works ok for me.

Don

Old 06-01-2008, 07:44 PM
mr_president

Thanks for the response. I never tow anything with my D, this will be the first of probably only a few timesI will ever tow anything. I am sureI will struggle on some of the hills, but i hope it will be ok overall, its just that it's a long trip. I guessI will see how it goes, and will make sure to have all my fluids changedfirst.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your towing capability is only around 5400 lbs. with that setup.If you are going to tow THATMUCH then I would suggest getting your trans serviced including filter and have then install a trany cooler. The thing is that your truck is not set up to run that kinda weight.

You get pulled over and youmight be leaving something behind including your pay check. Not to mention, there might be a problem stopping that weight without getting in an accident.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brakes on the Durangos aren't the best either so just pay extra caution in stopping when needed. I have the 3:92 gearing with a 5.9 so I can pull a good load. Just don't trust this Beast when it comes to stopping power. I had a little trouble making a quick stop pulling a near empty double axle uhaul with just a sofa in it. Brakes have some fading. But that was before I threw away the crappy *** oem pads for ceramic pads so not sure now. I will definitely be looking to upgrade to bigger rotors if available when my originals are ready for replacements.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I've had problems with the ceramics. They are not ment to get hot period! If your just cruzing around town than thats one thing for ceramics, but down hills or towing, they are just not recommended Kensia.

I ended up going to the DuraLast Gold Series and there is very little brake dust. I haven't had any problems with them. In fact I will probably stay with em for a long time.

Oversized braking systems is the way to go on these rigs. [&:]

Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 PM
mr_president

Thanks for the info. I already have the trany cooler installed, but will forsure have the trans serviced, and the differencials, and coolant. I will definitely be pushing the towing capacity with just the car and trailer, so won't be packing much else into the truck (just some clothes, a few tools just in case, jerry can, and myself). My brake pads and rotors are brand new, but they are not larger rotors so i will forsure be taking my sweet *** time to be on the safe side. According to uhaul the trailer is approx 2000lbs, and my car is approx 3000lbs, so not much room to play with here.

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Your towing capability is only around 5400 lbs. with that setup.If you are going to tow THATMUCH then I would suggest getting your trans serviced including filter and have then install a trany cooler. The thing is that your truck is not set up to run that kinda weight.

You get pulled over and youmight be leaving something behind including your pay check. Not to mention, there might be a problem stopping that weight without getting in an accident.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
United1
Professional

+1 to Hydra. I tow around 3,000 plus gear with my '00 4.7 Durango. I tried the ceramics and came to the same conclusion. They do not like to get hot at all. I went with Napa's top pad, can't remember the name, made a world of difference. Daily driving I'm sure ceramics will be fine, but stopping under a lot of load is a different story.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Take your time!

You can probably do it but definatly have that trany serviced, bands adjusted, filter and fluid change.

Don't drag your brakes.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:20 PM
United1
Professional

Definitely change the fluid and filter, that trans will be working. And Hydra, for those of us that have the itty bitty 4.7, the 45RFE trans don't have bands like it's big brother the 5.9. I'm sure you already knew that, just pokin some fun at ya.

Quick Reply: towing question