1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:31 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 Durango Transmission issues

Just bought this 99 Durango 5.2L 4X4 with a bad transmission.. The guy I bought it off of said in November (I know we had alot of snow around here last November because I was out riding my snowmobile) they was driving it and heard a loud bang, they then drove it home after the bang and after they parked it the transmission would not work anymore.. That's all the info I could get out of the guy because he was not really a mechanically inclined person..

I know nothing when it comes to transmissions myself.. I can pretty much do anything with an engine but just never had any rebuild/diagnosing experience when it comes to transmissions..

Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Default RE: 99 Durango Transmission issues

It is not moving at all..
I pulled the pan and this is what I found

Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 PM
schusterjo
All Star

That is metal pieces in the pic..
Now that I have the pan off and plan on pulling the valve body in order to get a better look.. What would I be looking for? besides the obvious broken parts ext..
I have no experience in transmissions and I have no trust in shops (do almost all my own work) i want tohave the best ideal of what may be wrong before going to a shop.. If needs to be taken to a shop to be rebuilt any body know of a good shop in Indianapolis, IN that will be honest, knows these transmissions well and will not charge me an arm in leg????

(sorry for multiple post but I can only post short messages for some reason)

Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have a rack. You could get a reman trans from the dealer, warranty is 3 years or 100k and you want to flush out your cooler too.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the Pittsburgh area now, but in January when my tranny went out, I had Edwards handle the task. Warranty covered mine but the invoice for total rebuild including new torque converter and shift kit came out about $3500 I had pretty good luck with Edwards, was out of servicefor about 12 days, including the first day at the dealer for diagnosis and one full weekend. I won't speak for all of them but I took it to the one on Michigan Rd. Talk to Jay. The only other one I would recommend would be AAMCO and that is mainly for nationwide coverage. Good luck!!

Old 07-26-2008, 03:16 AM
schusterjo
All Star

ORIGINAL: MAGIC84

I am in the Pittsburgh area now, but in January when my tranny went out, I had Edwards handle the task. Warranty covered mine but the invoice for total rebuild including new torque converter and shift kit came out about $3500 I had pretty good luck with Edwards, was out of servicefor about 12 days, including the first day at the dealer for diagnosis and one full weekend. I won't speak for all of them but I took it to the one on Michigan Rd. Talk to Jay. The only other one I would recommend would be AAMCO and that is mainly for nationwide coverage. Good luck!!
$3500 is a little high... I called Edwards and they dodged my question all together far as a price goes.. I am sure they do good work but for some reason I don't trust anybody who can't give an honest estimate over the phone.. I simply asked how much to rebuild a tranny, they should have an estimate...

Old 07-27-2008, 01:54 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Well I decided I am going to buy a reman transmission from a very reputable company.. Thanks to the ones who responded..

Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Okay the more I read the more confusing it gets lol...

Okay my understanding is
Dodge Dakota
Dodge 1500
Dodge Durango
Jeep Cherokee

From the year 96 on up to ? that contain a 44RE all can be interchanged?

If this is true would the shift timing ext.. still be the the same with all?[/align]

Quick Reply: 99 Durango Transmission issues