1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dodge Duranogo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spyder98
. Took it back to the muffler shop where I got my catalytic converter so they could check it out as i thought that was my problem they told me that my D: is running too rich and that it burnt my Cat again this was within a couple of days of installing it and that its not covered by the warranty and I need to pay for the replacement but he recommends I get the fuel mixture checked out before installing a new one. OH and just to top it of it wont pass smog not because a bad cat but because it has a supercharger
Im not busting ***** but a couple days on a new cat? Im sorry but i cant see that happening. You live in CA right? Superchargers are allowed

Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder98
Hi,

I just went ahead and took the Cat off and now running a straight pipe...i was able to find someone willing to pass smog with some money under the floor mat if you know what i mean
As loud as that thing had to be with a straight pipe, you passed? Regardless of the payoff... I call BS too.

BS

IndyD

Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think he's talking about strait pipe bypassing the CAT.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
From my experience of owning a forced induction vehicle (85 turbo shelby), it is always better to run colder plugs for forced induction engines. You should not have to worry about the heat range since you are already increasing the compression ratio by several factors, it will generate the the extra heat in the combustion chamber.

Forced air induction engines runs much better with colder plugs for those that likes to run their engines in the upper rpm range
Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I just got it.

The colder plug retards the timing to burn latter. This avoids pre-denotation due to added compression lowering PING. Complete detonation will exceed into advanced timing due to the compression. Also octane would help but I think you would have to run airplane fuel to retard timing. This is why most racers utilize both.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
spyder98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not busting ***** but a couple days on a new cat? Im sorry but i cant see that happening. You live in CA right? Superchargers are allowed
Yes after a couple of days of having an aftermarket cat it got burnt due to the engine running so HOT. I do live in CA and I took it to 4 different State Smog only shops and all of them turned me down as soon as they saw the supercharger, I know its legal I’ve spoken with Vortech. But the smog shops didn’t want to deal with it.

As loud as that thing had to be with a straight pipe, you passed? Regardless of the payoff... I call BS too.
Yes I had the CAT removed and they put i pipe there. I passed smog because I paid a guy to do it, my D never even touched the smog shop where i did it, I don’t know exactly how they did it but with in 3 days they had the paper work that i needed. I ended up paying 150 for the smog, and Yes the D is very loud when at idle, and when you are flooring it, but at cruising speed the noise tones down

Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start looking at the o2 sensors. Also running rich doesn't run hot it runs cooler you are not burning off all of the fuel it in turn ends up taking the cat out by stuffing it full of fuel. I would clean those sensors and check out the others as well like the IAT and MAF.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mean Green
Also running rich doesn't run hot it runs cooler you are not burning off all of the fuel it in turn ends up taking the cat out by stuffing it full of fuel. .
What i was going to say mg, i dont need to type anymore, give my fingers a break.

In Ca a licensed/registered motor vehicle shop "cannot" turn down an emissions inspection, esp to a supercharger. They would take your money even if they knew you would fail. Now i can understand turning you down if your pushing a cel or something isnt legal/safe on the vehicle(shop liability). I know im def coming out as a ***** but im not trying to be. If the issues are so bad that somehow the cat got burned up in little time, your engine would be catching damage aswell. I'd park it till i knew what was hapening.
Quick question, now that your straight piped and suped, what Cel you throwin after reset?

Quick Reply: Dodge Duranogo Problems