Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 AM
duff73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question

Hi guys,
I am in need of a new Cat and got quoted $600 from the mechanic since he says I need to replace the whole Y-pipe and Cat as it is one unit sold by dodge. I was wondering if anyone has done it on their own and if you can just cut out the cat, weld a new one in, and put it back on without having it on a lift.

Looking at the y-pipe, it looks like it is held on by 4 bolts, and then all I would have to do is disassemble the exhaust as I take it out. Any tips as to what else needs to be removed like the cross-member or anything else? I am going to put in new O2 sensors as when I tried to get them off they were stuck on there so I figured when I had the y-pipe down, I could have a better angle to attack them and get them off.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PB blaster the you know what out of the O2 sensors. let it sit for a while then repeat 3 times... then break them free using the "O2 sensor socket" and a "long breaker bar".
P.S. If you don't use the socket the nut size is 22mm nothin less or more

Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Magnaflow has a Y pipe that enlarges from OEM to 3" and then you install a High Flow Cat from Magnaflow as well. From there you can always install a 3" cat back exhaust. The problem is that there is thread holes for O2 sensors that you have to weld in. Oher than that it's no problem.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 PM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain

You can just cut the cat out and replace it without replacing the y-pipe.On the ground it's a little tight,but do-able.As for the O2 sensor,I would just go ahead and replace it.If your having trouble getting it out,the threads may be trashed even if you get it out.

Good luck man.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Right about not having to install a Y pipe but why you are there and you are replacing the CAT anyway you might as well do a good high flow CAT at 3" so this would be the best time to git-er-done. The OEM version flows pretty good anyway for most applications but it just depends on how much money and performance you want to install.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duff73
Looking at the y-pipe, it looks like it is held on by 4 bolts
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
As the others stated, no need to replace y-pipe if just for cat. Although 1 up suggestion, take a look at the flanges you noticed with the bolts. Check to see for rust, the bolts/flanges can rust out and separate the connection, the only legitmate repair is to replace it so take a look at them.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
duff73
Rookie
Default RE:

Well, I'm going to attack this SOB tomorrow. I checked out the flanges and they look good. I blew up the original motor last year and got it rebuilt. I bought a Magnaflow high flow 2.5" cat just so I don't have to get new exhaust tubing and so I can weld it up quicktime for ease of installation. I'm not looking to get a 3" exhaust cause I really don't need the added flow from it for power gains.

The only thing I am wondering is if I drop the exhaust, weld in some new pipe to keep the same length so I don't have to adjust the hangers, do they sell hole taping kits for the O2 sensors? I will only need to tap one hole for the pre-cat sensor as I am going to re-use the post-cat one (hopefully!)

Thanks for all the help everyone

Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your welcome don't forget the PB blaster. good luck.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

1. I beleive the hangers will be fine.

2. Doing a 3" exhaust will give good power gains??????

3. The magnaflow hi flow CAT will do fine but, you will not notice it in 2.5" piping.

4. You can get the insert for threading or finished ready for install, but what are you going to tap?

Last edited by hydrashocker; 09-19-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM
brownie4lif
Default cat replacement

hey hows it going? i have a 2002 durango r/t and my cat went on it. dodge replaced the whole y pipe and cat for free because i had under 80,000 miles on it. idk if any1 posted that yet but hope i can help, im kind of new with this

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question