2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

1999 Sport 1500 5.9 4x package questions / chrome

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM
sixways
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Sport 1500 5.9 4x package questions / chrome

Hoping someone knows the answer as my eyes are crossing from searching.
Detailing (trying) my truck. New'ish to me, no badges. Custom bumpers, lifted, quad cab (half doors), fog lights, short bed, different wheels than oem. Sides have oodles of *something* to polish out. Maybe I'm stupid but I have not been able to find a pic online of the exact trim/sub model. Probably an 8" span all down the sides. Plethora of 'chrome delete' vids ( oh I get it!) but the word 'chrome' gets thrown around alot when it's something else. And now I'm just curious what the Sport package offered back in the day across 1500-3500.
Does anyone know with certainty if the '99 Sport came with real chrome trim panels?? Polished aluminum? Only reason am saying Sport is I called a Dodge dealership with my Vin and they said it was. What were the Sport package choices on the 4x's and what oddities await in finding headlight housings etc for this year? (saw a thread on '99 Sport being an oddball for some parts fitting here).
Before I go batshyte with some 0000 steel wool or Mother's on an orbital I want to make sure what I'm trying to polish. Thanks in advance!

Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 371 Likes on 349 Posts

The "sport" came with body colored bumpers. No "chrome" anywhere. May want to post a pic of what you are talking about.

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
sixways

Originally Posted by Moparite
The "sport" came with body colored bumpers. No "chrome" anywhere. May want to post a pic of what you are talking about.
It's been hard using dropdown vehicle submodel choices for parts online because they all use different descriptions. Maybe the vin run was wrong ffs. All I know is it's been modified to 'unidentifiable' besides it's def a quad 5.9 mag 4x, two batteries, gas, hahah Gosh it's almost like Christmas maybe finding out what I really have.

Last edited by sixways; Yesterday at 03:20 PM. Reason: ADD PICS
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,288 Likes on 3,035 Posts

Go here, feed it your VIN, all caps please, it's case-sensitive. That will tell you exactly what your truck is, and what it came with from the factory.

The following users liked this post:
sixways (Today)
Old Today, 01:23 AM
sixways

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Go here, feed it your VIN, all caps please, it's case-sensitive. That will tell you exactly what your truck is, and what it came with from the factory.
HeyYou thanks for that! Up top it says 'Quad Cab', then the Standard Equipment list, then the Optional Equipment. Mine has a ton of the 'optional' but not sure if that OE list means it IS on my truck or not, but matches up. Except it lists some paint color choices one of which is mine (blue were the others). On the OE list it lists 'Sport Group', then 'SLT Decor Group' in that OE list. Could that mean 'chrome' in an SLT line? Truck's got so many of the OE on it but obviously isn't blue, even the skid plate, power everything, leather wrapped steering wheel, 4 speakers, cruise control, heated mirrors etc so I'm kind of more confused now add this cluster to the mix when I try to order parts most places ahahahahahah:

SPORT, SLT and ST all offer a 5.9L V8 engine base options to search for parts, and if chrome trim wasn't an option on a Sport, wth do I really have? Not all dropdowns are like this, some just want you to choose Ram 1500 1/2 Ton 4WD. I can live with that as long as the parts are going to work, especially like headlights. I'm finding this really odd I can't pinpoint a sub model. What Rams typically came with those long chrome trim pieces? Maybe they were just part of an optional 'decor package' offered for all Rams?

Old Today, 06:23 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 371 Likes on 349 Posts

From what i am seeing someone put all that stuff on. Bumpers, grill(should be body color), fender flares and the aluminum or stainless on the lower part of the body. The Laramie SLT was the top of the line as far as options go. Some where included in the SLT package. Had nothing to do with "chrome". Mine is a sport and a Laramie SLT. Have a look at your headlights and see if you have the duel or single bulbs in them.

Quick Reply: 1999 Sport 1500 5.9 4x package questions / chrome