1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Decided to take advantage of the somewhat clear NW weather and quick question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Neo1130
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided to take advantage of the somewhat clear NW weather and quick question

Here is the result... My camera totally washed out the skyline in the other pictures. Mountain was lost and I had to adjust the brightness on this one to see the mountain a bit better... But also I wanted to know, what would it take to run 35's? Or would 33's be best? I plan on doing a bit of off roading... Would I need new wheels for 35's? Sorry for the questions, I am new to 4x4s... Although I had an Audi A4 which is AWD... Cannot get by the 4 wheel power! I miss the Audi but my Durango hasn't done me wrong yet like my A4... Constantly breaking and SO expensive and hard to find parts for... Durango, not so much... Only complaints I have with the D is no rear heat since it is a 99, main heater is KINDA hot even though I JUST flushed it not more than 2 months ago AND I burn 1 quart of oil every 3k miles... LOL! I know, it is fine but I have never had a vehicle burn any oil... I think it is actually my valve covers leakin a bit... No real oil in the intake so I don't need to pull the manifold for that problem... But here is a pic of my beast... I have 31x10.5x15's now and don't want to get new wheels unless I have to, maybe some wheel spacers to kick it out for more room... I dunno, I want 35's ultimately but 33's will do...

durango079.jpg?t=1227592824

Old 11-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neo1130
Here is the result... My camera totally washed out the skyline in the other pictures. Mountain was lost and I had to adjust the brightness on this one to see the mountain a bit better... But also I wanted to know, what would it take to run 35's? Or would 33's be best? I plan on doing a bit of off roading... Would I need new wheels for 35's? Sorry for the questions, I am new to 4x4s... Although I had an Audi A4 which is AWD... Cannot get by the 4 wheel power! I miss the Audi but my Durango hasn't done me wrong yet like my A4... Constantly breaking and SO expensive and hard to find parts for... Durango, not so much... Only complaints I have with the D is no rear heat since it is a 99, main heater is KINDA hot even though I JUST flushed it not more than 2 months ago AND I burn 1 quart of oil every 3k miles... LOL! I know, it is fine but I have never had a vehicle burn any oil... I think it is actually my valve covers leakin a bit... No real oil in the intake so I don't need to pull the manifold for that problem... But here is a pic of my beast... I have 31x10.5x15's now and don't want to get new wheels unless I have to, maybe some wheel spacers to kick it out for more room... I dunno, I want 35's ultimately but 33's will do...

Nice Pic!!

35"s i say dont do (unless you dont off road often) because you would have to get the 5.5" suspension lift etc which if abused doesnt hold up that great- anywho the 35" tire is alot of extra strain on the front (weak) IFS.

I say 33's will be fine, which will cost around $300 total (3"Bdy and TS lift) I always recomend them before any suspension due to the fact that the alterations keep the D as stock as possible and ride isnt adjusted. Im running 33x12.50 r15s now on an offset rim, you could use them on stockers but i chose new rims but they stick out far. There are no aftermarket flares avail so dont get your hopes up on saving a paint job if you do lol
Name:  Img_0727.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  65.8 KB

Oil consumption within 3K is not normal unless you have hiiiiiiigh miles.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Neo1130
Veteran

Yeah, I have 100k miles on the beast... I bought it at 92k miles and everything was IMMACULATE! Except for the motor needed a small bit of work... It had sludge, needed plugs, wires, rotor and cap, waterpump, tps... But the motor is clean... EVERYTHING is clean on the outside... Only thing wrong with the paint is someone used a buffer too much and made a bunch of swirls... But there are no chips/stains/etc, no rips in the leather, still smelled new when I picked it up! I am loving this Durango, my family has had plenty but I still never liked them much until I got one! Now they are my favorite SUV... I have always been a Dodge lover and have a 2005 Magnum R/T...

Oh, and I got the Durango for only $4500... Just because someone at the DOL put a "Z" instead of a "2" when they put the vin into the computer, which messed with the mileage... Now the title has a "not actual mileage" title, however, the mileage is good... Plenty of records to prove it...

Last edited by Neo1130; 11-25-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man your "D" sounds solid, check out this link on the biggest size tire/wheel for 1 gen "D"s https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/174048-will-35x12-5-tires-fit-my-stock-durango.html

Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
thepeshmode
Amateur
Cool

Kinda looks like Mt Rainer from Capital Mtn. Am I right?
I'm pretty content running 32's on my '02. It's my daily rider. I've seen some with 33's. but they used the rancho 3" suspension lift with the 2" body and TB lift. That looks good too!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 PM
a4x44ted
Rookie

Here is a picture of mine with the 3" P/A body lift, T/S lift and 33" tires on stock rims. I think it looks pretty good but I have broken 2 front axles while wheeling. Granted, I might go a little harder than some. Just letting you know to be careful if you do wheel it.

Ted

Last edited by a4x44ted; 04-20-2009 at 03:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Decided to take advantage of the somewhat clear NW weather and quick question