1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

How can 5" and 6" speakers both fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Kidd_Funkadelic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can 5" and 6" speakers both fit?

I just ordered some replacement speakers for my front doors after one blew. I had just changed out the rear ones a few months back and bought Infinity 6022si speakers. The ones I bought for the fronts are the 5022i model. They just arrived and I noticed they are 5 1/4 inch while the set I put in the back were 6 1/2. I just double checked crutchfield and it says both sizes will fit.

How can both sizes fit? Will I need some kind of adapter to mount the 5022i speakers? The 6022si ones came w/ a plastic mount of some kind that I used. The 5022i ones did not.

Before I take the door panels off I'd like to know if this will work or if I'm missing anything I'll need.

Thanks in advance for the comments. I have a 2000 Durango w/ the Infinity system.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Kidd_Funkadelic

Anyone?

I take it I need something like this to fit the 5 1/4 speakers?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SAC6...l?tp=919&avf=N

Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry bud there aren't a lot of audiophiles in this section. I know we have a car audio section here and they may be able to shed some light on your question.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Durango03
Veteran

Probably just depends on which way you turn the speaker. I would always go with the largest that will fit for better sound clarity.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:41 PM
brownie4lif
Default door speakers

hey hows it going? im a big car audio guy. i have an 02 R/T the door speakers that came with it are either 6.5's or 6 inches. im away for work so i couldnt tell you exactly which 1's they are but im positive that either of them fit into the stock speakers spacer (the plastic circle that the speakers screws into then screws into the door) the only thing you may need to do is make new holes which isnt a big deal. most of the D's come with a separate tweeter btw. idk if you just wanna get sound back of if your looking to kinda put a little more thumb into your system but i suggest getting separate door speakers and tweaters (should come with a cross over)

hope i was of some help to you

Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All 1st gen durangos uses 6.5 inch speakers for front/rear. If you have an infinity system, the front speakers are component speakers. Meaning, it has its own separate tweeter and then the mid/bass driver speaker. When the foam surrounds blew out on my oem's, I replaced them with Infinity reference 6012's all the way around. The 6012's sounds so much better than OEM, but I lost some of the BASS output that the OEM's had. But after putting in some time using these speakers they broke in and the sound is great.

If you want to maintain the OEM design on the fronts, you can order the Infinity Kappas 6.5 inch component mid/bass driver to replace the OEM version.

Has anyone noticed the rear speakers aren't as loud as the front speakers when you set your fade controls to be balanced between front/rear? I can noticably tell the front is way louder than the rears when you move the fader all the way to front or rear.
I wonder if this is by design from the OEM amp or is my OEM amp getting weak on the rear channels? Maybe I should step down to 2 ohm infinity's in the rear to make up the sound level as my four 6012's are 4 ohm speakers.

I am glad that crutchfield has a special oem spacer for the Dodge durangos. A while back, there was a small company that made these spacers dirt cheap but obtaining them was getting difficult. I think that business finally closed shop.

I would not recommend cutting/modding the hole on the door, it's too much work and there is not much clearance as far as depth goes for the speaker if you attempt to bolt the speaker directly to the door without the plastic spacer. The plastic spacer will also assist in enhancing the bass somewhat and provide you with the depth needed to clear the speakers from the vertical track support shaft that the glass windows slides on.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 PM
DRO318
Captain
Cool

Originally Posted by Kensai
Has anyone noticed the rear speakers aren't as loud as the front speakers when you set your fade controls to be balanced between front/rear? I can noticably tell the front is way louder than the rears when you move the fader all the way to front or rear.
I wonder if this is by design from the OEM amp or is my OEM amp getting weak on the rear channels? Maybe I should step down to 2 ohm infinity's in the rear to make up the sound level as my four 6012's are 4 ohm speakers.
Yeah I noticed that when I hooked up my sub woofer. I still have the fac radio. what i did was add a small amp to the rear speakers. I think the rears were just meant to add a little bass.

I added two more speakers to the flap on the third row seat. It sits on top of my sub box so it's like a rear deck

Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 AM
N_gin

I would go with the 6 inch speakers. Y waste the $ on a spacer and a smaller speaker. I have two sets of component 6.5. Set in the front and set in the rear doors. the crossovers are hidden in the body were the front seat belts go and the wiring is ran through the doors. I also used the stock tweeter connector for the component tweeter. As for the amp I hid it in the back compartment by the jack. Best of all it was for cheap. I spent $120 oon two sets of components pt# QP600C. $120 for amplifier part # QA4260 wich is 4x260, 4x520, 2x1040, all in 12ga speaker wire 100 ft $20. Sounds awsome!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM
DRO318
Captain

^ sounds like a great setup dude

Old 12-24-2008, 01:01 AM
brownie4lif

yea all those ideas are great guys. i changed all my door speakers to JL's xr model 6.5 inch speakers with separate tweeters....this almost makes the door speakers more of the low end range, the tweeters are ear piercing and for now i just have 2 10inch jl w-0's. i am making custom pods that fit flush above the rear window just for the simple fact that like every1 else has noticed, there isnt any sound coming from the way back. when you sit up front it sounds great, but even in the middle row it sounds like the low end is way too over powering. for my interior i have a TMA 340/4 channel amp which is plenty powerful combined with a flip up 6.5 alpine deck......if anyone needs any fiberglass work done my friend and i are pretty good at making subwoofer enclosures....if you can think it up and give precise measurements, we can make it....ill try to get some pics up of my D sometime soon

Quick Reply: How can 5" and 6" speakers both fit?