1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 durango tries but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
mhalstead3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 durango tries but wont start

My 1999 dodge durango v8 5.2 started shutting off when put into reverse then yesterday morning we started it to warm it up and it shut off. Now it will turn over but does not seem to be firing. It doesnt even seem like its trying to start it just turns over. It also blew a multi fuse. I replaced the spark plugs because one had been repaired by the previous owner. Any suggestions

Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 PM
SchoolBus

Originally Posted by mhalstead3
My 1999 dodge durango v8 5.2 started shutting off when put into reverse then yesterday morning we started it to warm it up and it shut off. Now it will turn over but does not seem to be firing. It doesnt even seem like its trying to start it just turns over. It also blew a multi fuse. I replaced the spark plugs because one had been repaired by the previous owner. Any suggestions
Does the durango have a Crank position sensor?

There are 3 variables. Fuel spark air, thats where i would start. find witch one is at fault.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a crank position sensor.

Start simple and listen for your fuel pump. It is a whirring sound immediately following the moment you turn the ignition to run. Don't turn the engine over just listen for the pump. It will/should run for about 2 seconds.

As stated before it is either fuel, air, or spark.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 AM
mhalstead3
Default reply

The fuel pump is working, I've removed the air filter and changed the plug wires. It just sounds like its not firing

Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On the fuel rail (drivers side) there is a pressure test port. You can buy or rent a fuel pressure tester. You simply trun the key to the run position and test the pressure. Anything under 50 psi I would replace the fuel pump which is in the tank and includes the filter, pump, and regulator all in one unit. The tank is easy to drop with 2 bands and a vacuume line. Also it is plastic so it is light. New pump runs at 54 psi in comparison. Also there is a fuel pump relay under the hood in the fuse panel. Most of the relays are the same so you can swich them to see if thats the problem. There is usually a spare relay as well in there.

But first things first. What tune up parts did you use. (Name brands and type) Also I REALLY want to know what fuse blew and where?????? Both the under the hood fuse panel and the drivers side dash fuse panel have schematics to tell you what they go to.

We'll get her fixed!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Also all engines have Crank Position Sensors.

There is a Do It Yourself in the Sticky on the main Durango 1st Generation thread section. Here is a link to the DIY for the 4.7L Crankshaft & Camshaft Postions Sensor DIY but does nothing for the 5.2L or 5.9L which is a small plate under the distributer cap.

Remember to use the search feature. Advanced Search

Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
mhalstead3
Default reply

The fuse that blew what a 20 amp multi fuse for the power outlet. Are you saying that there are 2 fuse panels under the hood? B/C if so I have only found the pcm panel on the left side. Also is there a safety switch on the fuel line like there is on a Ford? Also I didnt get it posted but the truck started dieing when it was put into reverse before it just died the other day. It seems to lose power when the heater was on, with the heater off it wouldnt die.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Ops.....

The main panel is under the hood that includs the relays and the other is in the cab on the side of the dash when you open the drivers side door.......Sorry

The fuel pump relay is also the cut off swich I think. I am very sure there is no other swich. Swich out the relay under the hood panel. Look at the schematics.

There could be a problem with the alternator or battery.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Heres a pic of mine.

Red = the one you blew right?
Green = the spare relays I was talking about you can swich out if they are the same number.
Blue = the fuel pump relay.

Attached Thumbnails 99 durango tries but wont start-1.jpg  
Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 PM
mhalstead3
Default reply

I have to charge my batterie and then Ill check the relays. Also I'm going to start from the beging again just to make sure I havent missed any thing. Ill get back with you to let you know where I am with it. Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: 99 durango tries but wont start