1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP 98 engine misfire, cut out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Holly ****!

I gotta get under my truck and look for the crankshaft sensor.

I found a pic.

And here is a Pickup sensor (cam sensor).

Old 02-28-2009, 02:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I found this but can't find exact location?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/pcm-and...aftsensor.html

Old 02-28-2009, 03:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Check into this.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-location.html

Looks like Dodge light trucks with automatic transmission have a crank sensor near the top of the bell housing just to the drivers side of centerline. Unplug the connector from under the hood, passenger side (if you can see it) then from underneath the truck remove the 7/16th head bolt from the sensor. You may need a swivel and very long extension to remove this bolt. You may also need to remove the shifter linkage if this vehicle has an automatic transmission; don't forget to set the parking brake.

Once the bolt is removed, you should be able to give the sensor a short twist like a spark plug wire boot, then pull it out.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 02-28-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
mattd860
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want to lead you down another wild-goose-chase but I have been experiencing most if not all the same problems as you. My problem occurs when trying to maintain a certain speed while traveling up a hill. I've tried everything here and replaced just about all sensors on the engine and even inside the transmission (thought it was a tranny problem at first since the misfires occur primarily just before shifting from 5th to 4th gear at highway speeds).

Then, out the blue I just decided to run some NGK V-Power Spark Plugs (FR5-1). They were only two bucks a piece at Advance Autoparts. Now, I have NO problems at all and the truck is running smoother than ever. I put the NGK's in about 4 weeks ago and since then driven about 1600 miles (long commute to work). Not once has the engine pinged or stumbled.

I don't really know if this has 'masked' my problem or fixed it but for now I am happy. I also have the 5.9L engine which is different than you 318 but I would give it a shot. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
scouty

ok. i know its been a year but i finally figured out what the problem was. It was the up stream O2 sensor. A mechanic at a church I go to figured it out rightaway. many many other mechanics kept pointing in other directions and no fix. my new mechanic said that there wont be a code set off for a weak sensor only one that will go completely. so its fixed and running great.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

nice, thanks for the update

Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 PM
shagmanjug

yeah a battery caused mine to do that also.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM
shagmanjug

o2 sensor hum, thanks for the update

Old 09-12-2014, 03:44 PM
pandersonj

I've seen the same problem with my '98 D 318. Before I found this blog on the forum, I'd cleaned throttle body, replaced: IAC, MAP, throttle sensor's, ignition coil, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, crank shaft sensor. Checked for bubbles on transmission fluid dipstick to rule out incorrectly seated filter since last trans. fluid change. have not changed cam sensor though! Still no code being thrown up .... now finally changing BOTH O2 sensors .... hope this works!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:36 PM
pandersonj

OK - so no luck!! My Durango is still misfiring, although not cutting out totally, yet! I'm at my wit's end!! What I have noticed is that the misfires and "coughing" happens more so when the car is cold ... as it warms up, the sputtering and misfires get less ... but still there occasionally. I had heard that if you do not replace the upstream O2 sensor with original manufacture part, this may still happen. I used NGK O2 sensors. Any help out there?

Quick Reply: HELP 98 engine misfire, cut out.