1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

strange problem with my ecm and a fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 AM
CharlieEscobar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange problem with my ecm and a fire

2002 5.9L 4wd. Hi guys, I just bought my Durango from a bank that had repo'd it. I noticed a spot by the ecm that had been burnt. The wire shielding was partially melted but all the wires were ok. I test drove it for close to an hour with no problems.

On the 200 mi. drive home I stopped for a while to relax, when I restarted the engine light came on. It sputtered and stumbled intermittently for the last 40mi. When I got home and slowed to idle it died.

I checked the 3 connectors and they were good and clean. Took all the shielding off the wires within the burn area and they were ok. It could hav been coincidence but after moving everything around she started and ran fine for a few mins and I noticed that when it started stumbling and dying again that the tach needle was jumping sporadically, as long as the ign was on. I also noticed a burning smell but it definately wasn't in the ecm area.

I don't know what burned there, but my thought was that whatever it was may have damaged the ecm.

Took it to a good mechanic and his reader was showing a crank sensor code. He thinks it may be the ecm, maybe.

My questions are: can any ecm for a 5.9L work on my '02? It doesn't have a security system, I don't think. I just hate the thought of paying a lot for nothing.

Does the new ecm HAVE to be programmed? With my vin too?

Can anyone here give me new ideas on what they think could be the problem?

I'm an old dog on the old cars, but this computerized stuff is new to me. Thank you.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

First off I'd replace that crank sensor. That is most likely the reason your truck died and had that stumble on idle because that's a very known symptom of a bad CPS. Second, I would get that PCM replaced because it could cause significant problems in the future, and your problem with a sensor is likely erecting from the PCM.

As far as replacement you can get any one with the 5.9 and take it to the dealer and have the reprogram it. They program it to what features your particular vehicle has and how the factory built it to run.

Like I said, get that crank sensor replaced first and foremost and you'll likely be able to at least drive it normally. A bad crank sensor causes all sorts of problems and I'm not convinced the MIL is lit due to the PCM, I think its the sensor this time LOL.

And for future reference, Mopar doesn't use the term ECM, they use PCM. Literally meaning Powertrain Control Module. Just a little info.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 AM
CharlieEscobar
Professional

Ok thank you. How big of a job is the crank sensor?

Also, Its uncanny how often the harnesses can be pushed and moved on the pcm- and then the D runs for a while. But then that burning smell is probably at the sensor harness location.

Wow, I just wanted a good vehicle to get the kids to school in bad weather.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 AM
CharlieEscobar
Professional

Oh- I forgot to ask, even though the pcm needs to be programmed with my D's options, can a temp PCM be used just to start the D and re-read the engine fault? Maybe even drive home? Thanks.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

im actually not sure if it will work with the wrong vin programmed into it, i have heard yes, and i have heard that no, if the vin and mileage dont match up with the values in other computer modules that it wont fire

Old 03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replace the Crank Sensor (on the back of that motor on the passenger side. I think it has 2 bolts.

Next, if you want to replace the PCM then just get on Ebay andget one for your year and motor. They will program your new one and ship it out to you with the information on your VIN. When you get it it's plug and play and all for about $200.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Took the words right out of my mouth hydra. No you can't just slap a PCM in there as a temporary fix until you get it flashed, just doesn't work that way.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 AM
CharlieEscobar
Professional

Ok cool. Well we replaced the crank sensor today and the problems still occurred. This time the reader gave us a bad speed sensor, it kinda solidified my resolve to order an ecm.

So I have one coming in overnight and see if it fixes the problem.

One thing bugs me though. When the problems are happening with the engine there is this odd burning smell, just can't find it.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Hmm yeah sounds like the PCM now. Normally when a speed sensor goes, the ABS/Brake light come on. Replace that and if you're smelling something in the cab, might be a clogged CAT. That's the only thing I've really heard of a burnin smell in the cab.

However its easy to get your CAT checked, just take it to a exhaust/muffler shop and have them do a back pressure check.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Odd burning smell, engine not running right, and different codes keep popping up?

My suggestion would be to track down the source of the smell ASAP. Doesn't sound like a clogged cat to me, I think you've got a wire shorted out somewhere. If that's the case you may not even need the new PCM, the short might just be making your current one malfunction. Or you may need it but could burn out the new one as soon as you install it if the short still exists....

Either way, I would strongly suggest finding the source of that burning smell before you take any other steps. If it is, in fact, coming from a short, and it's a bad enough short to produce a burning smell, then you've got a fire hazard on your hands.

(It would be easier to be certain if I could actually smell it myself. There are many different kinds of "burning smells" depending on what it is that's burning, but based on what you've described that's the direction I'd proceed.)

Last edited by coreybv; 03-04-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: strange problem with my ecm and a fire