1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

cv shaft play????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well you can replace the boot but it's a pain in the ****. I would suggest a new CV half shaft and call it a day, besides most likely the bearings has been compromised with debris anyway.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree with hydra, if the boot has been torn, just replace the shaft bc dirt got into it, and thats NEVER good

Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 PM
jaz27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys sorry it took a while to write back. So then replacing it would be a pain.
So Hydra, a CV half shaft would do. and as far as the debris, is that a problem? and what can be done to avoid bigger problems down the road?
Sorry to ask so much.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The proper name is a CV Half Shaft, however it is the full unit meaning the inner end plugs into the front axle shaft and on the outer side it plugs into the hub. It is the entire shaft. This is a somewhat large job so if you feel more comfortable to take it in then do so, if you want to tackle it there is instructions here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

When the boot tears debris stick inside of the grease and thus make their way into the bearings. When this happens it's like putting sand into a bearing and it tears them appart. Replacing a CV boot is a good way around buying one IF you catch it as a small hole. Also you have to have proper tools to do this. In your case you stated that it was cracked so I assume that it's contaminated.

As for preventative maintanence:

You CV boot lasted 8 years! Thats a good run anyway you look at it. Things like salt, heat, and many other things can shorten the life of the CV boot depending on your driving enviorment and style, but in reallity there is nothing you can do but replace it when it is needed.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
jaz27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Thank you for that information. I feel comfortable working on it myself but since you said having the proper tools helps, then I rather take it in.
Thanks again for the info!

Quick Reply: cv shaft play????