1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

odd noise any suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok well the wheel bearing seem to be ok there is 0 play in the wheel if you grab the top and bottom and try to move it would have made my life simple if that were the case, at least id have known what it was (i was told that is a good check for wheel bearings)

any other ideas or am i just SOL until something finally breaks??

Old 03-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll throw up a general suggestion seeing how you ran through most common area's other than a bearing in the t-case/tranny.
Odd suggestion but it was an issue of mine before- Check your exhaust (header collectors back)
Mine was two things- loose collector (tightened) and pipe catching the subframe. It was odd that all the tell tale signs had nothing to do with the exhaust

Old 03-13-2009, 04:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

well was the volume of the noise for that speed dependent??? ill check it, but my suspicion is NO bc the volume increases w/ vehicle speed and is unaffected by engine speed, i can put the truck in nuetral and turn the engine off and it still makes the noise (yea empty parking lots an 12am )

Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout this for a madcap idea=but jackstands under the rear axle an under the front a-arms-{put the trruck into 4h before hand}-and have someone in the truck spin the wheels so you can hear which wheel bearing it is or if it's comin from the transfer case etc. I wouldn't go under the truck but the jackstands under the a-arms should keep the cv- joints from binding like the would if you put them under the frame.....Just exercise extreme care..........We outta start postin durango repair videos on youtube.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

hmmmm i did try pushing it around in my driveway in tcase nuetral but couldnt get the speed up high enough to hear the sound

and idk the noise doesnt kick in till like 15-20 and idk how good i feel about runing the wheels that fast up on jack stand

EDIT::::: you in NJ, if so we could get together and make the videos for youtube if you got a camera this summer we could start

Old 03-13-2009, 08:50 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

With the wheels free-spin I don't think you would need alot of throttle to get wheels spinnen up to 60 or makin the wheel bearins hum if their bad=ever been stuck in the snow of mud=the speedo spins pretty quick up to 60 and if you have safety stands under the rear axle tubes and front control arms should be safe to stand near to listen for the noise but not to go under the vehicle--I think i'll get the jack and stands out tomorrow and give it a try....I live in the great state of taxachusetts---but a sony harddrive cam corders are gettin pretty cheap.....I have one and they work pretty good but I haven't posted anything to youtube yet.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the bearings would not have the same heavy load on them if you jack it up, so you may not hear the sound as much. You still may hear something

Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by DragonOfMadness
With the wheels free-spin I don't think you would need alot of throttle to get wheels spinnen up to 60 or makin the wheel bearins hum if their bad=ever been stuck in the snow of mud=the speedo spins pretty quick up to 60 and if you have safety stands under the rear axle tubes and front control arms should be safe to stand near to listen for the noise but not to go under the vehicle--I think i'll get the jack and stands out tomorrow and give it a try....I live in the great state of taxachusetts---but a sony harddrive cam corders are gettin pretty cheap.....I have one and they work pretty good but I haven't posted anything to youtube yet.

taxaschusettes, lol thats good, i know how to put stuff on youtube, but i dont have a camcorder, if someone in nj had a camcorder and wanted to get together to work on the our beasts and make tutorial videos

and putting it on jackstands, we only have 2 as it turns out, i checked so im NOT putting a running truck up on two jacks and 2 jackstands, IMO thats just asking for disaster if one of the jacks fails

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 03-13-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

don't they have a harbor freight tool shop in nj? put a stack of cinder blocks under each side of the axle tubes on rear axle= it's the gangsta style way----This is turnin in to a wiley coyote science project---beep,beep>poof!<If I only had a 70 roadrunner I wouldn't be thinkin about how to test those damn sealed fornt hubs=lol

Last edited by DragonOfMadness; 03-13-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

By the way you try jack up each wheel about an 1inch and stickin a pry bar under to check for play=if their hummin ----I don't know of any other ways to check them=I saw them for as low as 91bucks for the non-abs sensor ones and 120bucks for the abs sensor ones-----You might be able to find a shop with the magntic mounted microphones=the put them on the chassis to locate hard to find noises,but i think if get it of the ground with the jackstands the bad hub will make an audible whirling sound or ya might even see the wheel shimmy with the bad hub slightly---Hope ya get the problem solved with the least cash expense.heres the link to the cheapest place I saw so far.
http://www.thecarpartwarehouse.com/h...h030-item.html

Quick Reply: odd noise any suggestions???