1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

odd noise any suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok so my dad got under the truck and seems to think the brakes are sticking because the rotors are grooved and so he believes that replaceing the pads/rotors will be enough to fix it, i think that the calipers will probably need to be replaced too, what do you guys thinK???

Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First thing first....... Do not opperate the truck with the wheels off the ground unless you want to kiss your gearing goodbey...... (shaking head)

The rotors can be turned if within torerance.

One way to tell if it is a wheel bearing is to turn at a hi speed and lesson for the sound to get louder. But even if you do that the weight can come off the a bad bearing and come in contact with the race making the same sound. Take off the wheel bearings and roll em in your hand. Look for wiggle room and feel.

Look at the drive line and see if a weight came off. They are washers welded on the drive shaft. Take a close look at the U-joints for with a flash light very close up for any type of shavings.

Grab the yokes on the diff and the transfer case and also look for oil leakage around the seal there at the yokes.

Does it do it in 4X4? Tourque going to the front end could tell a story.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:17 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it makes the noise in 4x4, 2wd, turning(in either direction) going straight, decelerating, cruising, (cant hear it over the engine when accelerating, but im certain its there), i will have my dad check the other things, but if we do the brakes wea re going to do them 100% corretly, replace the rotors and pads, and if we find that the pistons are sticking even the slightest bit replace them,

there is NO oil leak, and the u joints have no shavings on them, because that was our FIRST guess as to what the problem is, we checked out the entire driveline and all ujoints look fine, neither differential is leaking and we did not notice any missing driveshaft weights, and the wheels are properly balance, we had that checked JUST before i came home when my dad rotated the tires, so all we can figure is that the brakes are sticking so we are going to look at that, but he wont look at it without me which is BS IMO since they have been driving it AGAINST my wishes and are breaking **** by not taking care of it correctly :'(

(yes i AM PISSED OFF about this)

Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you kiss your gears "goodbey" by having the vehicle on safety stands under the axle and a-arms...the driveline geometry is maintained and I didn't say to drop the hammer on the gas pedal.....

TRAC–LOKY TEST
WARNING: WHEN SERVICING VEHICLES WITH A
TRAC–LOKY DIFFERENTIAL DO NOT USE THE
ENGINE TO TURN THE AXLE AND WHEELS. BOTH
REAR WHEELS MUST BE RAISED AND THE VEHICLE
SUPPORTED. A TRAC–LOKY AXLE CAN
EXERT ENOUGH FORCE IF ONE WHEEL IS IN CONTACT
WITH A SURFACE TO CAUSE THE VEHICLE
TO MOVE.

Quick Reply: odd noise any suggestions???