1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rough idle... Found this forum too late..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DragonOfMadness
I don't wanna beat a dead horse but this is written in a service manual pdf for durangos..

DESCRIPTION
All engines use resistor type spark plugs. 4.7L V-8
engines are equipped with “fired in suppressor seal”
type spark plugs using a copper core ground electrode.
Because of the use of an aluminum cylinder head
on the 4.7L engine, spark plug torque is very critical.
To prevent possible pre-ignition and/or mechanical
engine damage, the correct type/heat range/number
spark plug must be used.

only use the specific plugs=I've seen peeps usin performance plugs and they caus hell and havoc...as for Seafoam=the best stuff out there for maintaning an engine and one other note=injector tip erosion due to using methanol=don't put any dry gas etc with large amounts of methanol=the injectors get fubarred and then spray pattern loss causes performance and fuel economy losses not to mention they may start leaking causing wicked problems especially in the older 98-99's...I'm already pricing a new set for my engine and hope to get em soon...One more thing the ignition coils=no MSD Blasters...Accel makes one that will match up......Damn now I really need a beer...
You bring up some good points but,

I've been using the MSD Blaster Coil #8228 sinse at least 05-07-2006 with no problems. I call BS
Part Numbers for 5.9 Performance Ignition

The problem is the MSD Blaster II.

Now sorry to crash your party but I just finished your last beer!..

Last edited by hydrashocker; 03-26-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Jmodix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Replace the IAC sensor.

Other than that maybe a TPS sensor.

Already replaced both the IAC and TPS trying to resolve this.

Also, Dragon noted about the plugs and the decision to put the plats in.. well that wasn't mine.. was the shop.. I've replaced those as fast as I could, torqued to spec when installed. Problem is, when I bought the truck it had
the original plugs in it.. It didn't run any better with the plats that TK put in, and still runs about the same with the Champion coppers, So I dont think its a spark issue..

Not sure if the part about the ignition was pertaining to me or not. I am leaning to towards Injectors or o2 sensors. What works the best for cleaning injectors?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

MSD BLASTER COIL #8228
Applications:
Chrysler/Dodge Cars 1990-95
Dodge Truck 1990-97
Jeep 1991-97|
Plymouth Cars/Trucks 1991-95
2-Pin Connector

I didn't see anything on using that coil on a 98 and later,but hey if it's workin for you=cool beans..I did read on other blogs that most msd coils are junk and run the yellow accel's instead..and Jmod has coil packs so the coil wouldn't be the prob=maybe the T.P.S. or the I.A.C. motor is stickin.....By the way that wasn't beer in the last bottle.....lol

Last edited by DragonOfMadness; 03-27-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Jmod,this doesn't exactly match your problem but if you read the answer portion it noted that the I.A.C. motor can be reset=read the link below and for the hell of it disconnect the battery for awhile then turn the ignition on for 5 seconds to let the computer reset the I.A.C.>can't hurt.....

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...-4-7-liter-v-8

Old 03-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Jmodix

Jmod,this doesn't exactly match your problem but if you read the answer portion it noted that the I.A.C. motor can be reset=read the link below and for the hell of it disconnect the battery for awhile then turn the ignition on for 5 seconds to let the computer reset the I.A.C.>can't hurt.....

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...-4-7-liter-v-8

Hmm, I disconnected the battery the other day the entire time I was swapping the plugs. (about an hour)

But heck, Ill try anything at this point!! I'll give it a shot this afternoon.

Another thing I noticed now that its getting hotter.. It seems to occur more ofter. In the winter I would see the studder every few days... now its multiple times a day.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember when you reset the computer that it take a little while for it to adjust back.. So, it may run worse till it learns and adjust to conditions.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:03 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Jmod,also check the connector for the air idle controller while you have the battery off=maksure the connector doesn't have any corrosion or isn't fully in..

Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

MSD BLASTER COIL #8228

Applications:

Chrysler/Dodge Cars 1990-95

Dodge Truck 1990-97
Jeep 1991-97|
Plymouth Cars/Trucks 1991-95
2-Pin Connector

I didn't see anything on using that coil on a 98 and later,but hey if it's workin for you=cool beans..I did read on other blogs that most msd coils are junk and run the yellow accel's instead..and Jmod has coil packs so the coil wouldn't be the prob=maybe the T.P.S. or the I.A.C. motor is stickin.....By the way that wasn't beer in the last bottle.....lol
Yes your right!

Think about this...... The 1997 is the same coil as the 1998 I have. As for the 1998 and 1999 there isn't a problem. Now you get into the 2000's and up there might be a problem but again think about extra voltage????????

The problem with the Blaster II is back feed into the PCM. If anything the Accel runs more volts than the MSD # 8228 and this isn't always the best thing. Too much voltage changes the dynamics of detonation too much. If running it you need a cooler plug which only messes everything up. The MSD can still run the OEM plugs without burn out and give great detonation on OEM engines. Now if I had installed flat top pistons (which I kick myself for) it would have been perfect because of timing. Still you would have to have better plugs that only burn out very quickly not to mention the arching through the piston top.... Notta good thing.

Jmodix<--------Try higher octane or different fuel.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 03-27-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DESCRIPTION
All engines use resistor type spark plugs. 4.7L V-8
engines are equipped with “fired in suppressor seal”
type spark plugs using a copper core ground electrode.
Because of the use of an aluminum cylinder head
on the 4.7L engine, spark plug torque is very critical.
To prevent possible pre-ignition and/or mechanical
engine damage, the correct type/heat range/number
spark plug must be used.

Exactly why stockers plugs or MGKs at the same range are best in 4.7s.

Not so on 5.9s.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 03-27-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 AM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Like I said ,if it works good for you then good,I do know that unless your runnin a really high spinnin h.p monster motor then a stocker does just fine and the aftermarkets can have a long or shorter dwell time which can cause heat issues or missfires..but gettin back to Jmod=since he has coil packs then this really isn't an issue that is his problem and in the course of things I've been looking into 4,7's since I really didn't know how different they are compared to the magnums=and the semi-hemi is a different breed but not a form I haven't played with before....so after all this long dragged out writing I hope Jmod got some ideas outta this after all this was his thread....

Quick Reply: Rough idle... Found this forum too late..