1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Seafoam.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:59 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I've done the same thing but the old school way with distilled water. It never occured to me to use the Seafoam through the TB........Hmmmmmm
Water works great to clean the combustion chamber but doesn't do anything for the areas above the intake valves.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:01 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by Durango03
I wound up getting Lucas additive. It was on sale for $4.95. The seafoam was $10. I put it in the tank along with 93 octane and we will see how it does this week. I may go buy more before the sale runs out if it does well. I will report back.
If you're talking about the Lucas upper cylinder lubricant, it's a great product but is more of a preventative type product than a cleaner. I use a few ounces of the Lucas at every fill-up.

Buy it by the gallon and it's even cheaper than that little bottle for $4.95.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:07 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Another very cool application for the seafoam is cleaning the throttle body. I just pulled the throttle body off my V10 Excursion and it was pretty crusty with carbon all along the edges of the butterfly flaps. I've used brake cleaner to get it off before but it takes alot of scrubbing to get it off that way. This time I poured a small amount in a bowl and just dipped an old toothbrush and very quickly and easily brushed all that carbon off. Then a took what was left in the bowl and poured it and just a little more into a squirt bottle and squirted it down the intake manifold with the throttle body off. All that black build-up just started to run off and dissapear. I have had a problem with the IAC on this vehicle and with the squirt bottle was able to squirt some right to that area and hopefully clean the IAC enough to not have that trouble again.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've always used brake cleaner or FI cleaner for the TB.

I see your point on the valves tho....... Makes perfect sense although I think a slow throughal cleaning would be the better way and maby using both. Use the Seafoam then roll into distilled water route to clean the CAT and anything left behind.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I've always used brake cleaner or FI cleaner for the TB.
The seafoam is 100x faster cutting thru that crud than brake fluid is.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Durango03
Veteran

OK, after a week of having the Lucas in my tank, I noticed alot of improvements. No sluggishness, no hesitation, Excellent throttle response and @ 1-2 mpg increase. The stuff I used is the kind for the tank, after research its suppose to be a close comparison to seafoam in the tank. I plan on using this after every oil change If not more often.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Durango03
I plan on using this after every oil change If not more often.
Don't do it!

If you have a problem find it and fix it. Don't just use additives that are not even regulated by the fed's because none of them are....IMHO

Old 05-25-2009, 01:27 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who cares what the Feds regulate? What does that have to do with anything?

I agree not using it "just because". Use when needed and burn better fuel. Not all gas stations are equal.

IndyDurango

Old 05-25-2009, 03:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

True but the feds regulate the fuel as in house additives to ensure they do their job.

The problem is these outside entities. They can **** in a bottle and sell it to ya...... Not for me!

It's just the same thing as all these health supplements you can buy over the counter.......Same thing!.........Just because they say they can help you dosen't mean they can, and EVERYTHING you put into your body becomes a different combination becasue of differences and all bodies will have adverse and different reactions.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:50 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well got to say I have used Lucas for years and it has worked well for me. I agree if you are having an issue you should not use it to cover up a issue, that will just make the issue worse. I used it for years when driving big truck and always gave the trucks extra millage and extra power to pull hills, especially the low speed governed trucks, they usually have a lot of carbon buildup and such cause they are not allowed to get to the point where you can blow it out.

Far as running it in my cars and such it seems to keep the fuel system really clean by adding it to the fuel. So, for "me" Lucas is a product that has done what it said it would do, that keep system clean and add performance, guess I should say "maintain" performance and not say add.