1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Seafoam.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Durango03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam.......

I keep seeing it talked about and have never used it. But I just passed my 100,000 mile mark on my D and was wondering if this stuff would help? Do I just add it to my fuel tank? I have seen the videos about using a hose from the engine bay, but I dont wanna use the wrong one or add it too quickly.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:47 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a problem already? If not... just pour the can in the gas tank and fill up. Once it is on empty, add another can and another fill up. You will be fine from there.

If you already have a problem, you gently pour it directly into the throttle body. It will want to die so don't let it. It will also smoke like a freight train. I had the fire dept called on me the one time I did it that way. Once you get the bottle poured into the TB slowly, you let the truck run at idle until the smoke is gone. That's a great time to go ahead and change the plugs and the oil once it's done so that there is no residual effects from the cleaning.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 05-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Durango03
Veteran

Thanks. No I have no problems right now, Just not as quick off the line as it use to be. And sometimes it acts like it wants to try to quit on me at a light once in a blue moon. So I figured if I do this now, it may prevent something worse. So do I HAVE to change plugs and oil afterwards? Im due for an oil change and probably need to change plugs soon anyways, but is it Necessary?

Old 05-17-2009, 12:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Do you have a problem already? If not... just pour the can in the gas tank and fill up. Once it is on empty, add another can and another fill up. You will be fine from there.

If you already have a problem, you gently pour it directly into the throttle body. It will want to die so don't let it. It will also smoke like a freight train. I had the fire dept called on me the one time I did it that way. Once you get the bottle poured into the TB slowly, you let the truck run at idle until the smoke is gone. That's a great time to go ahead and change the plugs and the oil once it's done so that there is no residual effects from the cleaning.

HTH,

IndyDurango
I've done the same thing but the old school way with distilled water. It never occured to me to use the Seafoam through the TB........Hmmmmmm

I know of the vacuum barbs and all that stuff but it sounds like a good idea except I don't like the CAT tring to burn through all of it at once? This is why the H2O.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango03
Thanks. No I have no problems right now, Just not as quick off the line as it use to be. And sometimes it acts like it wants to try to quit on me at a light once in a blue moon. So I figured if I do this now, it may prevent something worse. So do I HAVE to change plugs and oil afterwards? Im due for an oil change and probably need to change plugs soon anyways, but is it Necessary?
You don't HAVE to do anything. Since you don't need to do the TB Pour based on no real problems, NO. Just run back to back tanks of fuel with a bottle each. Your sluggishness could be (is probably) plugs, a worn cap and rotor & old plug wires. No ignition, no power.

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
t never occured to me to use the Seafoam through the TB........Hmmmmmm
It is the primary method of usage per their bottle. While the water works via EXPLOSION, the Seafoam works via chemical. If I were to do it over... I would do both. Water first to chuck off heavy carbon and Seafoam next to really get the cleaning power over the entire cylinder.

I just may do that this summer on my next plug swap.

IndyDurango

Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Durango03
Veteran

I wound up getting Lucas additive. It was on sale for $4.95. The seafoam was $10. I put it in the tank along with 93 octane and we will see how it does this week. I may go buy more before the sale runs out if it does well. I will report back.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

HTH,

IndyDurango

Almost correct. You are supposed to turn the engine off after getting it in there and let it sit for a few minutes (10?) and THEN crank it up and burn all that out of there.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:53 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

I keep seeing it talked about and have never used it. But I just passed my 100,000 mile mark on my D and was wondering if this stuff would help? Do I just add it to my fuel tank? I have seen the videos about using a hose from the engine bay, but I dont wanna use the wrong one or add it too quickly.
There are 3 ways to use seafoam. In the gas tank, in the crank (oil pan), and inducted through a vacuum hose. Each way cleans a different area.

Gas tank will clean injectors

In the oil will clean oil passages

Inducted will clean intake manifold, valves, head, combustion chamber.

You can buy one can and use 1/3 for each with the same can.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

It will also smoke like a freight train.
You mean like this:

Name:  2008-11-13003.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  2008-11-13001.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  151.6 KB

I've actually had a couple of vehicles that I've done smoke worse than that.

That is a 2000 Excursion V10 with 150k miles on it.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

I think the oil change is more important than the plug change after a seafoam treatment. I would do the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 treatment and drive it for a couple of gas tank fulls and then change the oil.