1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango blows defrost only

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 PM
ranger473
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango blows defrost only

My 2001 Durango blows out the defroster only - heat or ac. Is it vacuum controlled or electrical? If it is electrical, will the error show up on a code reader?
Any common issues with this problem or does anyone have ideas about where to start?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Controls are vacuum.

Your issue however is usually electrical... a burned out blower resistor. It is an easy, 15 minute fix with the online How-To's available here/elsewhere now that you know the problem.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 AM
ranger473

IndyDurango,

Thanks for the quick reply! I did some additional research based on your comment but I still have a question... My Durango blower works fine on all speeds but will only blow out through the defroster vents - I am unable to get it to blow out the dash or foot vents in a/c, vent or heat positions. This does not seem like a blower resistor problem but I have very little knowledge in this area...
If you have any other thoughts and the time to reply I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Ranger473

Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OIC!!

If the blower DOES work but not through the floor, etc... could be a broken blend door. That is an all together different issue. Search the forums on "blend door" & "air vents" and see what articles most compare to your situation.

IndyD

Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the vacuum line that goes through the firewall behind the motor towards the upper drivers side and make sure everything is plugged in and not cracked.

The switch is electrical that sends a signal to the vacuum module and then the module controls the door.

Check the vacuum line, then move to check the output from the switch to ensure that works, then move to the vacuum module and blend door on your quest.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 PM
ranger473

IndyDurango,

Thanks again! Your advice sounds good - unfortunately my son borrowed my Durango to go camping for a few days so I will have to wait to do any hands on trouble shooting...

Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out!
Kim

Old 05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
ranger473

hydrashocker

Thanks for your reply! Your advice sounds good - unfortunately my son borrowed my Durango to go camping for a few days so I will have to wait to do any hands on trouble shooting...

Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out!
Kim

Old 06-07-2009, 10:37 PM
ranger473
Default Fixed! But not by me...

I verified the vacuum system and hoses as described and everything checked out. I finally took it to the dealer where they were able to fix it ($142.50). Seems that there is a cam that drives all the ventilation doors and that the arms that ride in the cam groves had "jumped out" according to the service tech I talked to. When I asked the question, the manager pulled the tech off the line and he spent about 10 -15 minutes talking to me and explaining what he did, pulling up parts diagrams to illustrate the job - very nice service I thought! The down side is that he has seen this problem before and sometimes re-setting the cam seems to be a long term fix and he doesn't see the same vehicle back for the problem and others come back in a few months... The only other option is to replace the entire unit which seems to be very expensive. It was closing time by then and I didn't get a quote. I hope I am one of the lucky ones...
Thanks again for the replies to my original question!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango blows defrost only