1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

46RE tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fluid level is checked in neutral. Tranny used about 4.75 quarts. This is my 3rd time changing the fluids and I found my previous part receipts and each time, I purchased 5 quarts and barely have any leftover on last bottle when changing fluids with tranny filter kit.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people don't know to check the fluid level in N. The 46RE doesn't pump thru the cooler and TQ in park but it does in N. I don't know of any other brand that checks in N, Dodge had to be different I guess. If the level is checked in P it will be higher than N.

Old 11-22-2023, 11:51 PM
Tavis Evans
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering if it'd be the same for a freshly rebuilt transmission

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Service manual says dry fill 9.5 quarts minus and cooler lines and coolers. Transmission only on the 46RE.

When you drop the filter it pours out the valve body. Thinking if you minus the T/C and lines/coolers maybe 6 quarts?
I was wondering if it'd be 9.5 quarts for a freshly rebuilt transmission

Old 11-23-2023, 11:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Tavis Evans
For the initial fill, quite likely. Expect it'll take more than that to completely fill though.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:22 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
I just want to confirm to everyone out there on how much tranny oil to use depending on what type of service you choose.

So the info that Magic posted is correct. I just had my Durango serviced today in preparation for my 12 hour trip from DFW to Denver. If you are just doing a basic fluid change with tranny filter kit, on my 46RE, it is just over 4 quarts. If you are doing a full flush including draining the torque converter, then you need to do the full 8-9 quarts for a 46RE tranny. So far so good, replaced the fluid after putting in 5k miles and the tranny shifts alot smoother now since I got the fastman tranny installed.

Now I am going to return my leftover unopened 5 quarts of oil back to Walmart.
Keep it. You'll use it.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:23 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tavis Evans
Last time I swapped tranny's in the Durango it took a whole case of 12 (actually I think it wound up at 11-1/2) with the 46re.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:30 AM
James Vining
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YA but you are swapping out a tranny so you are having to fill the TQ etc. when changing (Unless you have a drain plug in TQ) the only fluid that is drained is what is in the actual pan all the other areas Like servo piston prior mentioned TQ etc will still have fluid in them I see 4 Quarts listed in my Manual as well I will look at the Dodge Service manual and see if it shows anything different.
Wow the way they say to refill the tranny is strange so I will not bother anyone with that info.
But as far as amounts they still show a rebuilt tranny or one with a replaced TQ requires quite a bit more fluid then one where all you did was drain it and replace the filter ( the filter in this does not hold a significant amount of fluid (the ones with the screw on canister style could hold I suppose a Pint extra)

Quick Reply: 46RE tranny