1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

02 Durango Brakes lock first time used

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:07 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As my closing argument your honor, there is more than one way to skin a cat. And we need to keep in mind every solution does not always apply to every car.

Method-A (for "Acceptable" ) has never failed me on the Durango. If there was a small ridge on the drum, the springs and friction would compensate for that in a matter of miles. The brake pressure is massive after all. Also, you can inspect the drum for adverse ridges if you take them off in my manor. Finally, when placing the drum back in place to test for the adjusters position, you can feel and hear any drag as you move the rotor checking for the proper setting. Any wild ridges can be checked, turned or eaten if they are only on the Ruffles with Ridges Potato Chips.

If the ridges on the lining of a drum are bad enough to push off a set of shoes and springs (OMFG!) then those drums should have been taken to a shop and turned or replaced. Never should they have been put back on. Even more reason to take it all off in the first place. (And once off... if all is good... use the easy adjustment method LOL)

I am sure there are other ways on other vehicles. However, on the Durango as a specific vehicle, this was works flawlessly and easily.

One question. It was posed to do only one side at a time. Why would one only want to work on one side at a time? Ever in you life see a brake shop not pull all four tires off at once while servicing the brakes.

Dunno my friend. The prosecution proposes a stay in sentencing and a weekend of house arrest for those needing the time to do it the hard way. They need the extra time to work blind via the peep-hole and to put the tire back on before adjusting... just to maybe have to take it all off again. Name:  icon_bugeyed.gif
Views: 25
Size:  812 Bytes

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 05-30-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:21 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in recess pending Hydra's closing statements. However, I am inclined to recommend a trade in to a 03 model with DISC Brakes, that should put an end to this thread. LOL!!!

Steve

Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In my already closing staitment let me say that a running with you really busted my drunk ***......LMFAO

As staited you are correct in the mannor that the drums should have been replaced/re-surfaced but they were not. I just worry about the average user and showing the correct way to replace them but also there is the back yard way which is ok as long as everything is replaced right and in working order allowing the adjusters to do their job and work properly.

Anyway as the whiskey/coke is staring at me and a nice religious vow to finish it, this must be set into the hands of the jury. As most typing is being edited at this point my stomach is thirsty and so is my liver..........LOL

I simply staited it as is should be completed the RIGHT way.

Now on with deliberation!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:16 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: 02 Durango Brakes lock first time used