1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Map Sensor and PCV Valve location

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Neo1130
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a 5.2l 1999 and the PCV is on the passenger the hose goes about 8" directly into the intake manifold which would give it a constant vacuum. The breather hose on the drivers side goes directly into the air intake hose on the air hat.... I don't think it really matter which is on what side, only that the open one goes into the air hat and the PCV valve goes to the manifold... That is why there is a check valve in the PCV, correct?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

Originally Posted by Kensai
So someone answer this question, if the pcv valve was in the wrong location such as in my case, what problems would occur?
Bad gas mileage... LOL! I would imagine a bad idle and other symptoms of a bad PCV?!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo1130
Bad gas mileage... LOL! I would imagine a bad idle and other symptoms of a bad PCV?!
My MPG's are not the greatest. But if you look at the pic, on driver side, one end of hose connects to intake manifold, the other end to pcv valve. Then pcv valve connected to valve cover.

Passenger side, one end of air hose is connected to airhat, and other end of hose connects to some kind of plastic elbow, kinda looks like pcv valve. Then plastic elbow connects to valve cover.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

Okay, looking at the factory service manual, it has it listed as either side... It shows pictures of it being on the passenger and drivers side... It just says as long as the PCV goes to straight vacuum and the breather is filtered air, should be good... If you want there is a VECI label under the hood that gives vehicle specific information...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

Originally Posted by Kensai
My MPG's are not the greatest. But if you look at the pic, on driver side, one end of hose connects to intake manifold, the other end to pcv valve. Then pcv valve connected to valve cover.

Passenger side, one end of air hose is connected to airhat, and other end of hose connects to some kind of plastic elbow, kinda looks like pcv valve. Then plastic elbow connects to valve cover.
That is how it should be then... Hmmm. Could we all have different intake manifolds then?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nope!

Someone hooked it up backwards because the molded hose cracked/broke/or they screwed up and cut it......LOL

Tommy, you forgot the basic vacuum diagram under the hood on the Passenger side hood.

The crank case breather goes to the drivers side and it uses a molded (OEM only) hose that goes to the air hat intake to be reburned. PVC is on the passenger side and goes into the intake manifold thus creating an EGR.

Having them backwards JUST ISN'T RIGHT.........LOL

Get graments, a breather elbow, and molded tube. You can also pick up a tube from them for the PVC but AZ will work.

As for miss matching them........ As you look inside the manifold there shouldn't be any difference in vacuum but then again I'm not a engineer. I don't see any problem other that it's not right. There could be a problem with the breather side taking in air because it is on the wrong side?......IDK

Old 05-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Neo1130
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Nope!

Someone hooked it up backwards because the molded hose cracked/broke/or they screwed up and cut it......LOL

Tommy, you forgot the basic vacuum diagram under the hood on the Passenger side hood.

The crank case breather goes to the drivers side and it uses a molded (OEM only) hose that goes to the air hat intake to be reburned. PVC is on the passenger side and goes into the intake manifold thus creating an EGR.

Having them backwards JUST ISN'T RIGHT.........LOL

Get graments, a breather elbow, and molded tube. You can also pick up a tube from them for the PVC but AZ will work.

As for miss matching them........ As you look inside the manifold there shouldn't be any difference in vacuum but then again I'm not a engineer. I don't see any problem other that it's not right. There could be a problem with the breather side taking in air because it is on the wrong side?......IDK
Again, the factory service manual show the PCV as being on BOTH valve covers... As long as the PCV is getting the vacuum and the breather is getting atmospheric air, it should matter as to which side they are on... The crank pressures should be relatively close on each side of the motor... If he looks at the VECI sticker under the hood and says the PCV should be on the drivers side, then that is how it should be... The factory service manual says nothing on specific sides... I am sure his came from the factory like that... Who would go through the trouble of changing sides of the PCV?

Figure 1 shows it as being on passenger side...

Figure 2 shows it as being on drivers side...

And I think your terminology is wrong about the EGR... Crank case vapors are NOT EGR...

Last edited by Neo1130; 05-30-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can't have vacuum only on the crank case or it sucks vapors into the crank case from the detonation of the cylinders and dose not vent the moisture/vapors pushed into the system. What I see in that figure is a PVC going into a vacuum port on the intake manifold. There is one more plugged off right next to it on the left in the picture. The PVC is on the passenger side as staited.

If you look at the drivers side of the motor THAT is a breather. It looks like a PVC but it is only an elbow and it is larger. Can you see how it is not connected to anything? Thats because it is suppost to connect to the air hat so that only clean filtered air goes into the crank case to fuel the Positive Crank Case Vacuum.

What happens during RPM is the cylinders aren't fully sealed and allow detonation vapors to enter the crank case and mix in the oil. This causes a corrosive mixture. Also in this corrosive mixture moisture that is not vented out of the crank case can cause sluge issues within this mixture. The PVC creates vacuum that can be cut off if for a minute if oil touches the intake because of the bee-bee. The breater takes in fresh clean air to replace the vacuumed air. This way it doesn't help suck in vapors.

Again look at your vacuum diagram under the hood.

The EGR is a figure of speech.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 05-30-2009 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (11-21-2021)
Old 05-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Kensai
Champion

Okay my friends, I knew my setup was correct in the first place. I think they changed the setup starting on 2000 or only the 2000 model has this reversed screwup!!!!

Driver side - indeed is the pcv valve location. I will take 2 pics one on each side to clarify my 2000 model screwup from dodge! haha.

Driver side, the vacuum tube hooks up to intake manifold and other end to pcv valve and pcv valve to valve cover.

passenger side, tube connects from air hat to plastic elbow and elbow to valve cover.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Kensai
Champion

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
That is one amazingly clean TB!

IndyD
Here is my original Throttle Body. You can definitely see a bigger bore size on Fastman's vs my OEM. My TB is clean as a whistle! 85k miles on it!

Attached Thumbnails Map Sensor and PCV Valve location-original-throttlebody.jpg  

Quick Reply: Map Sensor and PCV Valve location