1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Map Sensor and PCV Valve location

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pics taken to show location of pcv valve on a 2000 Durango R/T with 5.9 engine.

Each pic should have a filename. Driverside, passengerside, and diagram. Diagram says it all.

Now that I know I was right, and parts guy was wrong, I finised replacing the pcv valve and rubber hose. Get this, all after market pcv valves that I bought, Napa, and Autozone, the pcv valve makes alot of clakering noise. When I was at the dodge parts counter, I said what the hell, I ordered a OEM pcv valve. OEM PCV valve do not claker noise. Very quiet. I can now enjoy and finish my 6 pack of dark guiness!

Attached Thumbnails Map Sensor and PCV Valve location-driverside.jpg   Map Sensor and PCV Valve location-passengerside.jpg   Map Sensor and PCV Valve location-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by Kensai; 05-30-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You bastard I want some Guiness!!!!...... Well I'm just sittin here drunk again with my whiskey/coke........LOL

-------> And this is the reason I said to check the diagram <-------

Nice to see you got it!...............I just went today to buy a new PCV valve from Auto Zone. Should have checked this post first. Either way I plan on doing a short DIY with pictures tomarrow and posting it here. It's sooooo easy but I figured I'd just do it for other in case they need it. Either way as long as you have Positive Crankcase Ventalation and it's doing it's job who cares exactly how it works as long as it does.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Do we really have a thread on where the PCV is located? I always considered that simple stuff. Kensai, I believe all PCVs rattle. I was always taught that is how you know it is good. When it stops rattling it is time to replace. Maybe modern PCVs are different but every aftermarket one I have ever added to the D (annually) rattled. They are so cheap and available, I couldn't see a reason to use a factory replacement part.

Speaking of PCVs... what is the value of a PCV filter (one of those ball bearing deals)? Do they really help or make any real diference. I know if keeps oil of out the system but is it really enough to matter over time? A drop here or there isn't causing a lick of trouble I wouldn't think.

IndyDurango

Old 05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Facory
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PCV valve on my 98 5.9L is on the passenger side. I've
replaced it several times over the years.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Here is a standard PCV valve and something special if you want to step it up a bit

or fancy billet...

On the D, if your PCV doesn't look like the top photo (could be white plastic as well) then you have the wrong thing.

IndyDurango

Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Speaking of PCVs... what is the value of a PCV filter (one of those ball bearing deals)? Do they really help or make any real diference. I know if keeps oil of out the system but is it really enough to matter over time? A drop here or there isn't causing a lick of trouble I wouldn't think.

IndyDurango
Just talked about this a few posts back in this thread?

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You can't have vacuum only on the crank case or it sucks vapors into the crank case from the detonation of the cylinders and dose not vent the moisture/vapors pushed into the system. What I see in that figure is a PVC going into a vacuum port on the intake manifold. There is one more plugged off right next to it on the left in the picture. The PVC is on the passenger side as staited.

If you look at the drivers side of the motor THAT is a breather. It looks like a PVC but it is only an elbow and it is larger. Can you see how it is not connected to anything? Thats because it is suppost to connect to the air hat so that only clean filtered air goes into the crank case to fuel the Positive Crank Case Vacuum.

What happens during RPM is the cylinders aren't fully sealed and allow detonation vapors to enter the crank case and mix in the oil. This causes a corrosive mixture. Also in this corrosive mixture moisture that is not vented out of the crank case can cause sluge issues within this mixture. The PVC creates vacuum that can be cut off if for a minute if oil touches the intake because of the bee-bee. The breater takes in fresh clean air to replace the vacuumed air. This way it doesn't help suck in vapors.

Again look at your vacuum diagram under the hood.

The EGR is a figure of speech.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Kensai
Champion

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Do we really have a thread on where the PCV is located? I always considered that simple stuff. Kensai, I believe all PCVs rattle. I was always taught that is how you know it is good. When it stops rattling it is time to replace. Maybe modern PCVs are different but every aftermarket one I have ever added to the D (annually) rattled. They are so cheap and available, I couldn't see a reason to use a factory replacement part.

IndyDurango
My original OEM PCV did not rattle, I can feel it vibrate (shaking) so it is working, but not rattle. The rattle (clattering noise) I mention is VERY LOUD. The 5.9 engines are very very quiet idling engines. So quiet I can hear the injectors clicking. But since I started using the aftermarket PCV's, they just clatter way too loud. Sometimes distracting me from finding other possible noises that needs attention.

So last weekend was my first time to replace the PCV with the original OEM PCV and now all rattle (clattering noise) are gone and I am back with listening to a very quiet and fine tuned 5.9 idling happily!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

in "PCV rattle", I mean via shaking it in your hand... NOT when installed and working.

A good PCV should rattle when shaking NOT INSTALLED. Either a new unit or one off the car to see if it is still good. That shows that the oil hasn't gummed up the insides.

I have never heard one rattle when installed. THAT would be weird for sure!

IndyD

Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM
S S0DEN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None at all, as long as it's using negative pressure then all is fine.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by S S0DEN
None at all, as long as it's using negative pressure then all is fine.
Ok......

Do you mean vacuum on the case without a breather?

Quick Reply: Map Sensor and PCV Valve location