Transmission pan

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:10 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission pan

Good afternoon members!

I have been searching for a while and no luck but here is the scenario.

My Transmission pan is rusting, mostly surface rust but definitely getting worse. I am due for fluid/filter change and based on the rusting I am looking to change the pan.

The problem is I can't seem to find one, I checked the usual suspect sites, JC Whitney, Rock Auto, Auto Parts Warehouse etc.....even mrtruck.net

The Mr truck only covers 2WD models, I called them and although they would like the sale once I told them I had a 4X4 model they strongly recommended against it for the following reason. The rear of the pan is almost 4 inches. Space from the transmission bolt housing, on current pan to the cross member is "2" Although the body of the Mr. Truck pan looks like it is forward of the cross member it looks like it will be up against the cross member leaving no room to get a socket and ratchet or wrench agains the back row of bolts. The pan looks nice and works good, also it has the drain plug to make future fluid removal/replacements easier and cleaner.

With that said, here are the following questions

1. Has anyone run across this scenario before?
2. With the exception of mrrtuck does anyone know of where I can get a aftermarket pan?

I would like to get the pan first and change the pan out when I r/r the fluid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Trapstud
Professional

Here's a link to one that should fit.
http://www.mag-hytec.com/store/index...9b9c9d0b4a9747

Old 05-28-2009, 04:53 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Thanks, I Just called them. Sounds like it works, but $300 is still quite a tall order. I might have to suck it up though. I guess being able to drain the fluid in a nice reasonably neat manner might be worth the price. Thanks also for the quick reply.

Steve

Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mag-Hytec are reportedly the best there are out there.

Check here for lower cost options: http://www.yourcovers.com/

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Indy, that was the one I tried in the first place, I thought the website looked familiar. They were the ones who recommended AGAINST the sale because of the cross member. I called and got a verbal verification from the sales department, they also suggested cutting the crossmember, I am not an engineer but cutting into a structural support doesn't sound like a good plan. I did some more research, here is what I found out so far.

I like the MAG-Hytec ones and they sound like they would fit, and specifically the rear of the pan is shallower than the front so it will not catch on the cross member.

With that said, I found local dealer in stock $59.99 ($62.99 with tax.) Dealer stock was in computer, I still need to do visual confirmation of stock and hope it will still be there next week when I get paid. I might just get that dealer one and at least get me through until next fluid/filter change.. I like the Mag-Hytec but $300 is a pretty tall order right now.

With that said #2 what about this possibility.

Take the dealer pan, and take it to a custom repair shop, have it sand blasted and powder coated? after that to a machine shop and get a drain plug kit installed?

In summary my three options are.....

1. Spend $63 and get new dealer pan and install as is.

2. Purchase dealer pan, sand blast/powder coat and install drain plug kit.

3. Apply for government bailout and get the MAG-Hytec pan.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll see if I can remember where else other than MAG has them. Remember to install a deep well filter when installing the pan.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Thx Hydra, are the deep well filters easy to get. I am figuring the deeper filter is due to the extra volume and flow of the transmission fluid. (Notice I didnt say tranny?, I figured that would get you and Indy started in a photo frenzy....LOL!!!)

Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes.... Due to the extra fluid you want to pull from the middle as normal. It will also create more HP beleive it or not. Colder fluid does MUCH better and more volume = cooler temps. It's great to include a trany cooler as well.

I thought the Dealer sold everything........ There just lazy!

This is a link to B&M catalog download---> HERE

B&M dosen't make many things for us but there is a filter?

Found this at Auto Zone
B&M / Transmission Deep Pan Replacement Filter
Part Number:10288

Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

You hit the nail on the head on the lazy part, but fortunately it wont be for much longer, they are one of the ones on Chrysler's cut list. This is also the dealer who quoted me almost $500 for a waterpump, just the pump!!

Thanks I will check A/Z for the filter.

Cooler is on the project list, I was thinking of trying it when I do the Radiator r/r so it can hopefully be done at the same time. It is what we call in the aviation industry as a

NEF ITEM (NOT ENOUGH FUNDING!) for now.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cheaped out, when i brought my D in for a band adjustment i had them throw in a new trans pan and oil change.. Walked out the door with a $300 bill.. Cheapest dealer trip ever..

Quick Reply: Transmission pan