1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Running without Clutch Fan? 2000 D 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 PM
bluejaked48
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Running without Clutch Fan? 2000 D 5.9

I searched through all the fan clutch forums and such, and could not find the answer. On another site a person said he was running his D w/o the clutch fan, but it was not the 5.9 engine.

I have a 5.9
I live in NC with reasonable summer temps.
I do not plan on towing. (But if I did, I would ofcourse re-install the fan clutch.)

I would like to know if anyone has actually just removed the fan clutch all together and if they have had any substantial over heating problems? I have the e-fan for AC use. Would that provide enough cooling under normal driving conditions? (it's a small town, short driving trips and hardly ever sit idle in traffic)

Thanks much.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:06 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No. You need more cooling.

Check here:

Clutch and Electric Fan questions:
E-fan, Viper Fan, Clutch Fan Replacement/Upgrade - https://dodgeforum.com/m_844169/tm.htm
Clutch vs Electric - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...ctric-fan.html

Old 05-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will give you my experience. When my clutch fan went out, you can say I was on Efan the rest of the way until clutch replacement. I don't know what your seasonal summer temps at NC, but here in DFW, when we average near 100 mark every day, the E-fan can barely do the job. I stress the word "barely". The temperature gauge held just over the 210 mark. In my mind, that is not a good thing. Over time, can crack a head or something. These 5.9's aren't made to run that hot all the time.

If your area averages around 90 degrees for summer, the OEM Efan may hold up. But remember, the Efan usually do not kick in until your engine passes the 210 mark. So that is not good either.

The clutch I have, it is a severe duty clutch. It took about 12k miles to break in the clutch. Usually the clutch won't disengage until you driven quite a few miles. Now, it will disengage usually after a mile of driving. Funny thing is, if you use A/C with Efan, the clutch disengages alot sooner.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i know a bunch of the guys in the 2nd gen dakota section do this, but they have the 4.7 or 5.2, im not sure if any of the 5.9 guys over there do it, but the ones who do have not reported any problems with it,

but ir your worried run with the fan in the summer, and take it off for the winter, you should have no problems w/o it in the winter

my .02$

Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this Fall I'm going to remove mine and install this to run the electric fan.
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/vsc.html

Quick Reply: Running without Clutch Fan? 2000 D 5.9