1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Never had to clay bar a vehicle 3 times!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
M Shark
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Neo1130
Boy, I should slap you! You can NEVER get as good of a job with a buffer as you can with a good old hand job...

LOL! But really, I only use buffers when I am doing hardcore rubbing compound or polishing...

LoooLL!! Don't tell me you can remove swirl marks with a mere hand job! You must be superman! Anyway, your first comments stating that your wax job does not last long led me to believe you've only experienced hand waxing.

Let me point you to the right direction:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/index.php

and I don't merely mean any "buffer" I meant to point out "random orbital buffers", not the $19 crap you get from Walmart. Big difference between the 2. The latter you don't experience any burning of your clearcoat.

A wax job should last from 3-6 months with normal usage, only quick detailing in between waxes. If you're off roading probably less.

I've owned 17 vehicles in my lifetime and know the difference between cleaning your car and creating a work of art.

Anyway, check out the above forum... i'll leave it at that.

Last edited by M Shark; 06-05-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

It's the wax... Doesn't last that long... I have a large arsenal depending on what I want the vehicle to look like... I use majorly Meguires products and sometimes Griots... Their Gold Class is awsome and will last months on end... Their Next Gen wax, however, is more for use in car shows and lasts only weeks... If that... And I don't have swirl marks... Even after some hardcore offroading, and dirt caked on the paint, I don't get swirl marks... I have a $200 buffer but again, don't use it unless I am using rubbing or polishing compound which I only use when I absolutely NEED it... That stuff rips off more paint than you think... I am no newb when it comes to detailing... Oh, I am 25 and have had plenty more vehicles than 17... A few of which are exotics/sportcars/show cars and only two of them have I ever used the buffer on... Also taken some "pink" cars and turned them into a deep red again... WITHOUT a buffer...

Last edited by Neo1130; 06-05-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 AM
M Shark
Professional

Hey, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters. Never meant any harm here.

A long time ago, I used to think that hand cleaning products were the bomb as well. They do alright.

If you really want to learn about detailing, visit that website I posted. No one there I know can "break down" quality polishes by hand. Maybe they can learn from you?

Anyway, have a good one!

Last edited by M Shark; 06-09-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

M Shark,

1) the image in your sig doesn't work. You have a bad link there (should start with www.photobucket not img.photobucket

2) I liked that site and looked it over. Problem is they refer to things in passing that the novice would have no idea what they are talking about. A lot of the product names seem to be addressed by initials by the forum users. It will take some research there to understand what they are talking about.

Thanks for the link/info.

IndyDurango

Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Neo1130
Veteran

Originally Posted by M Shark
Hey, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters. Never meant any harm here.

A long time ago, I used to think that hand cleaning products were the bomb as well. They do alright.

If you really want to learn about detailing, visit that website I posted. No one there I know can "break down" quality polishes by hand. Maybe they can learn from you?

Anyway, have a good one!
Hey it's all good... I bet my post sounded a bit attack-ish... Sorry if it did, different attitudes can be taken over a typed post than what someone is thinking or speaking out loud... And yes, I agree that no one can break down the polishes, but I didn't use any polish... Just clay, scratch-x, cleaner wax and a final sealing wax... What I use, I know doesn't really get rid of the swirls, but more masks them by filing them in... The scratch-x I am sure would be best when used with a buffer, but I only had a few select spots to do and it took me longer to do maybe 1-2 square feet of scratch-x than it did the entire vehicle with the cleaner and sealer wax...

Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Theres nothing wrong with a lil bickering sarcasm.

Everyone has an opinion. Mine is if it's clean then it needs to get dirty......LOL

Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2. Lord knows I share my opinion! Name:  icon_cheesy.gif
Views: 13
Size:  931 Bytes

Opinions are like ********... everyone's got one!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:48 PM
M Shark
Professional

Hey guys! what's up? Thought I'd check back at this old post. Anyway, I just wanna share some detailing tips I use.

Here's a guy who uses the same process and products I do. I don't have any pictures of my cars so I'll just post his link to showcase the before and after pics. The Harley a few posts down really showcase the power of a polisher.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...m5-harley.html

Basically this is my detail process which I have included links to the products. Have fun!

1. Clay - Mother's or Meguiar's sourced over the counter from Auto Palace will suffice.

2. Meguair's 105, orange light cutting pad. You will want to make a few passes over the panel with even, but slightly firm pressure on the paint, and then move on to the next panel. Figure 3-5 passes per panel depending upon level of correction required will be enough.
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-......-compound.html

3. Meguiar's 205, white polishing pad, apply in the same manner as above.
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-finishing-polish.html

**4. Optimum Finishing Polish, applied with a black finishing pad
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-final-polish.html

**5. Optimum Opti-Seal, apply by rubbing into the paint until it disappears.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-seal.html

If you do a lot of off roading, you can start with a yellow cutting pad for #2. The clearcoat on our Durangos is so thin it easily gets swirls just by everyday use. I can't imagine how horrid it would be when off roading.

Enjoy creating your works of art!

Last edited by M Shark; 10-23-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I really need you to work on mine......LOL

Quick Reply: Never had to clay bar a vehicle 3 times!