1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Wiring colors

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's fair.

I certainly understand the difference between "done right away" and "done right". Patience has never been one of MY strong suits! Ouch!!

Just an FYI... you are the first I recall reading that is doing a PUSHER instead of a PULLER. I am very interested to see how you do it, how it works, etc. Good luck!

IndyD

Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 AM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
Indy and lv, I really appreciate what you guys are telling me but I guess I'm just too stubborn and impatient ........ I just wanted to add a pusher because my stock efan died and I didn't feel like or wanted to take things apart to replace it.
I used to have this way of thinking, but I wasted alot of time and money. It appears you are struggling a bit with this fan install and I'm sorry you have to learn the hard way. You are walking in my footsteps. which means I have already experienced what you are going thru. If I would have known you were doing this work to avoid replacing the stock fan that went bad then I would have begged you to just replace the stock fan. There are a bunch of places you can order a stock replacement for less $ than you are spending now. Unbolt the bad one, bolt in the new one. It may look like alot of work to change the original fan but it is less than the time you have spent so far.
I'm replacing my stock mechanical fan with an electric and will be working on it this weekend to plan the mod. I don't know how I'm doing the wiring yet but after I do I'll check back here to see how it's going with your install.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I really don't care how these mods are done as long as there are pictures and a write up to go along with it.......LOL

Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Hell... after tomorrow I will have a working stocker aux fan available for cheap. Indeed lv360, indeed.

You and me are both doing replacements this weekend. I start tomorrow at 9AM.

IndyD

Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for understanding. I'm gonna start my project early as well. I'm gonna use a fuse tap to access the ign power from the cold side of the ac relay so the fan will kick on when the coolant temp reaches 195. The thermal switch I got doesn't have any numbers on the dial, just a ****. But it is ranged from 150 to 240. So I figure the mid point of the dial will be 195. Yes, I will be taking pics of it from start to finish, or maybe my wife will be taking pics of me tearing my hair out in frustration! Hehehe...
Indy and lv, the most time I spent on the mod was figuring out where the fan should be placed in the beginning. I finally decided to make it a pusher cause there was no room between the mech fan and the aux fan and I didn't want to tear anything apart to get to things. I know the e fan works with the thermal switch cause it kicked on when I drove around the block after the initial install but I didn't want the fan to be hot all the time to drain the battery. Thus the ign on tap. Yeah, even though I may be in my late 30s, I'm still a noob in certain things. I just have to do things by trial and error. Hopefully the D won't catch on fire! Hehehe...

Old 06-05-2009, 01:45 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

I'm 41 and still a noob at a lot of things! LOL

Good luck with the install. A pusher is very interesting. If you decide you want a stocker electric, let me know... I'll have one for resale.

IndyD

Old 06-05-2009, 02:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
I'm 41 and still a noob at a lot of things! LOL
IndyD
Damn your gettin old......

I was thinking of doing a alternitive electrical fan as a puller because on the tow package that was installed on my 1998 didn't have a auxiliary fan option. If you look inside the shroud the clutch fan is WAY too close to the radiator for a puller to work. I was thinking of doing a flex fan with a electrical puller instead because I tow so much.

Now I think it was only on the 1998 and I'm not sure on the 1999's if they changed it?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:36 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

In terms of hoses and tanks, 1998 & 1999s are a match. Then 2000-2003 are a match.

Between the two, the switched mainly the following:
- Different radiator
- Different shroud
- Different top hoses
- Different overflow and washer fluid reserves
- No rear tank for fluid on the 2000+s

2001-2003 switched the under the hood fuse box layout design. 1998-2000 shared the same.

2001+ changed the interiors. 1998-2000 share interiors.

2000 was the cross over year with parts from each style. Personally, and I do own a 2000, I like the washer tank up front and not in the back like the 2001+, I like the fuse style that matches the 1998s and I like the original interior. The 2000 is sometimes like the best of both worlds. I just wish it had the 4 wheel disk brakes which were a 2003 only.

IndyDurango

Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Disk brakes would have kicked *** in mine. I only wish but lack the will to put that kinda money in it for what performance I could get out of it for what.....To tow?

Still tho....... I need to get an AX fan so maybe I'll hit ya on yours. What's the overall dementions?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally found the wiring schematic I was looking for. Looks like I will be hooking up the ign on power to the a/c compressor clutch relay output dark blue w/ black tracer wire cavity 23 on c106 in the PDC.

Quick Reply: Wiring colors