1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help Please-New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
suzanne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please-New to the forum

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango. I hear a knocking sound when I make a left or right turn. It does not do it any other time and sounds like its coming from the steering column. At first I thought it was my keys making the noise banging against the column but its not that. I don't have any problems with steering. Car steers fine, no play or anything, there is no other noise, just the knocking sound when I make the right or left turns. The ball joints were replaced last year. Front brakes were done in February. I have it serviced and tires rotated every 3, 000 miles and run mid range gas. Red only has 63,000 original miles on him. Can some one please help me figure out what is causing the knocking noise. I read thru the posts but could not find anything that sounded like my problem.

Thank you all for your help.

Suzanne

Old 06-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suzanne,

Welcome to the boards.

You may need to re-inspect the ball joints. Ball joint failures are very common on our 1st generation durangos. Was your replacement a OEM replacement or aftermarket replacement?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:06 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noises are very hard to diagnose unless we are there. So, its like taking a shot in the dark.
Could be ball joints as mentioned.
Also could be a bad CV axle making a such a noise.

Again its very hard to tell what it may be.. A little audio file uploaded may help us help you as well if you are able to get that. Some phones are able to record video/audio or if you have a camcorder you could do that.. Just a short clip of the noise uploaded to a host site such as http://www.filedropper.com/ (free with no signup)

Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

It is most likely the upper and intermediate steering column shafts. As long as it doesn't get worse, or cause you any driving issues, you can live with it as I have for the past 3 years. The dealer will want over $650 to fix and replace the parts. You can get the parts alone for less than $250

There is also a TSB to service it prior to replacing any parts that could fix it. I had the TSB performed and it lasted about 3 days before the knocking came back. My knocks at about 10 and 2 as I turn the wheel. I can really do it anytime just messing around in a parking lot. In real world driving, it's usually pulling in and out of a parking spot where I hear it.

Here is the official TSB data:

---------
Popping Sensation/Noise In Steering Column While Turning

NUMBER: 19-05-99

GROUP: Steering

DATE: Jul. 23, 1999

SUBJECT:
Popping Sensation/Noise In Steering Column While Turning

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves repositioning the steering column on the steering column mounting brackets.

MODELS:
1997 - 2000 (AN) Dakota
1998 - 2000 (DN) Durango

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A popping sensation/noise can be felt and/or heard in the steering column during sharp turns (parking lot maneuvers.)

DIAGNOSIS:
Start the engine. Rotate the steering wheel to the extreme right and then to the extreme left while monitoring for a popping noise or sensation. If a popping noise or sensation can be heard and/or felt in the steering column while turning, perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.

1. Start the engine.

2. Rotate the steering wheel so that the steering wheel is in an upside down position then remove the ignition key to lock the steering wheel in this position.

3. Remove the three screws that secure the lower edge of the steering column opening cover to the lower instrument panel reinforcement.

4. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide-bladed tool, gently pry the upper edge of the steering column opening cover. Pry just below the cluster bezel on each side of the steering column away from the instrument panel far enough to disengage the snap clip retainers from the receptacles in the instrument panel.

5. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.

6. Loosen the steering column attaching nuts.

7. Bounce the steering wheel lightly in a vertical motion to normalize the alignment.

8. Without influencing the new location of the steering column, tighten the passenger side rearward nut to 12 N.m (105 in. lbs.)

9. Next, tighten the front driver side nut to 12 N.m (105 in. lbs.)

10. Tighten the remaining steering column attaching nuts to 12 N.m (105 in. lbs.)

11. Tighten the upper intermediate shaft attachment bolt to 57 N.m (42 ft. lbs.)

12. Position the steering column opening cover to the instrument panel.

13. Align the snap clip retainers on the steering column opening cover with the receptacles in the instrument panel.

14. Press firmly on the steering column opening cover over the snap clip locations until each of the snap clips is fully engaged in its receptacle.

15. Install and tighten the three screws that secure the lower edge of the steering column opening cover to the lower instrument panel reinforcement. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N.m (20 in. lbs.)

16. Start the engine then, rotate the steering wheel back to its normal position.

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: 19-20-83-96 0.2 Hrs.
---------

HTH,

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 06-25-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
suzanne

Thank you all for your help. My husband had me try putting the steering wheel in a different position than the one I usually have it in. I tilted it all the way up and turned wheel both directions, no noise. I did the same thing at the lowest position again no noise. Apparently it just doesn't like the middle position I always have it in. I will try driving it with the wheel in diffferent spot and see if the noise comes back. Neither of us is qualified to take the thing apart, so like the one poster said if I don't have any problems with the steering I will just have to live with the clunking noise for a while until I can afford to get it checked out and fixed.

Is it possible that when they took the dash out to replace the heater and ac last fall that they did not put the steering wheel back in the correct position? Tires were just rotated last month and ball joints checked they were all fine.

Thank you all again for your help.

Suzanne

Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just have the ball joints checked out again and if everything is fine and it doesn't get worse don't worry about it. The TSB was on the 1998 and 1999 models.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:06 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Originally Posted by suzanne
Is it possible that when they took the dash out to replace the heater and ac last fall that they did not put the steering wheel back in the correct position?
Yes AND No.

Yes = When they had the dash out, they most likely had the shafts out/down too. When they placed them back in, they indexed them in a different place than they were before. Since there was wear in they original position, the wear is in a different place now. Tada, knocking. Exact same thing happened to me. Dealer wasn't willing to help make it right since the parts there weren't new. He said it is impossible to get them back into the same place. My opinion is that if you know this could be a problem, they could have noted their position when they removed them.

No = you asked about the 'correct position'. Again, once wear sets in, there really isn't a correct position going back in. Instead, proper care could have resulted in the 'same position' as they were when they came out.

I'll bet you $100 that is the problem... exactly as I have it all outlined in my two posts. I am certain because I have the same issue developed at the same time the dash was out. I have just lived with it since then and other than being annoying in the parking lots, thats about it.

Good luck with it!

IndyDurango

Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 PM
suzanne

Thank you all again. I drove to work and back today with steering wheel tilted in different position and no knock. I think your right and won't take that $100 bet. I will also have ball joints checked at next service.

Suzanne

Quick Reply: Help Please-New to the forum