1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1st to 2nd shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
kenj66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st to 2nd shift

Ok I dont want to sound like a broken record but I have a question. I recently bought my son a 99 5.2, 220,000 miles Durango that needed a little work. The 1st to 2nd shift is at 2500rpm when it has a cold tranny. When it warms up it shifts fine. I have taken all the info I have learned from the experts here on the forum. I have changed the fluid and the filter and adjusted the bands. Type 4 fluid and still it seems to do the same thing. Am I missing something, or is this the nature of the beast at 220,000 miles and need to leave it alone. There were no signs of metal or crud in the pan when I dropped it. After I dropped the pan and seen it was not to bad looking. i did not do any kind of flush on it. It seems to be a good vehicle, but I don't want to spend an arm and leg on it.
Kenj66

Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

Yes, this has happened to me - I have a 1999 5.9l D, exact same symptons.
Your shift up spring has bust...its located by removing the pan under the transmission and you'll notice that in one corner there is a spring mounted vertically and held under a lever. Search this forum under my name and you'll find an old (maybe 2 years ago) post relating to this.
Dodge will want to sell you an entire new control unit so you might have to find one in a scrap yard...

Chris

Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
kenj66

Thanks Chris;
I don't know how long it has ran this way, but my guess from the people I bought it from I would say for a while. Will it hurt it if I keep driving it or do I need to fix it ASAP? I hate to do the fluid change all over again so soon. What you think?
Kenj66

Seems like every thing I try to work on turns to crap!!! LOL.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First don't ever do a flush. It blows seals because the trany seals aren't meant for it. The best thing you can do is filter/fluid change. Could also be the sift solenoid. I would do both while you are in there. Here is a great tutorial:

Solenoid Replacement and Location:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1695983

Here is a idea for a drain you can install while you have the pan down. Also B&M sells them avalible at your local parts store like Auto Zone. Sure makes life easy.

Quick Drain Valve from Fumoto Engineering
http://www.fumotousa.com/

Last edited by hydrashocker; 07-27-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
kenj66

Well it is a new day. With a few more questions for the experts.
If the spring is broken, is this a an easy fix or is there a lot of bull crap to it. Also I noticed today that when I am at a stop sign and let off the brake a little i feel a small slip or lunge I give it the gas and it is fine. Is it possible I need to adjust the front band again or am I scrwed? From the best of my memory will allow me to use I set it at 2 to 2 1/4 turns back after the tourque on the adjuster. The fluid level is fine. Any thoughts would help.
Thanks Kenj66
It is a shame that I can install million dollar car washes and can't seem to figure this out. Thats why you all are the experts in this field!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

yup...same symptons again...its that kick down spring for sure
take the D to a garage, put it on a lift & drop the pan - you'll see if its broken or not
i drove with it for a few months...but i can't say if its ok to do it

Chris

Old 07-28-2009, 03:59 PM
kenj66

Thanks Chris for the reply. Is this spring hard to replace? I remember seeing it I think around the adjuster. You said that a scrap yard may have one. I will see what I can find. I would still like to know if it is hard to replace or not if you don't mind. I am only so smart on these things. What would a Dodge dealer charge me for the part if I Have to get it there? Do you know what the part is called?
Thanks again I hate to bother anyone with my problems.
Kenj66

Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First off we like to answer questions like these so it's no trouble post anytime.

It's not hard to do and you can try to readjust the bands. Look in here: Do It Yourself (top questions and answers) FAQ's

1st gear shift spring I think.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:18 AM
kenj66

Thanks Hydrashocker it will be a while before I can do anything with it because of my work sech. I will Let you all know what I found out. I thank you all for being so informative. This is a very good site with people like you to help people like me.
Thanks again.
Kenj66

Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 PM
foxfirey2k

I also have same problem, please post so I can see what you do. Thank you

Quick Reply: 1st to 2nd shift