1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Speedie lube screwup oil 4 quarts over

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 AM
fahscar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedie lube screwup oil 4 quarts over

2000 Durango has a 2 inch hole or slice in the valve cover. The Durango was running fine no warnings and the engine makes a missing,clicking sound then shuts off. After it cooled down I checked the oil and it showed almost an inch above level. My mechanic came and checked the oil first and confirmed my measurement of being at least 4 quarts over. The employees from Speedie lube also came and confirmed our oil measurement. Then they drained and corrected the oil level. Started the engine and it still misses badly. They found the oil was leaking out of a hole in the valve cover. Does anyone have any idea what all could be wrong. Thanks

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but the first thing that went wrong was taking it to one of those fast oil change places.. over fill can do all kinds of damage.. Off to work will check back with ya later..

Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm lets see, too much oil, high pressures in crankcase, oil frothing, air bubbles, blow by on seals, premature wear you can keep going and going on the list... Make sure everythings documented because thats an easy case against the lubers for engine replacement...

Now with the misfires.. In your case oil prob found its way past the valve seals and gummed up your sparkplugs, i'd also check your vacuum line to the air filter for blowby aswell....

If i was you i would have a dealership run over the engine to make sure everything is corrected on the Luber's cost.....

Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SUE!!! SUE!!! SUE!!! I say!!! AHAHAHAHA!!! Okay, rant over. I had gone to them once for an oil change on my in-law's car. They did all the required movements but forgot to tighten the intake hose from the filter to the tb and didn't reconnect the pvc valve hose. Car ran like sh*t on their lot and when I had them recheck everything, they found the problems. "There's your problems, no air and no vacuum!" Idiots...

Old 08-05-2009, 03:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you kissed the motor goodbye. Time to call the company to replace the motor as per 408 and schusterjo stated.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay it looks like others have chimed in... I was going to say the same thing as they did. You now need to take it to a dealer and have them look it over. Going to tell you the oil change place is going to deny everything. Its going to be to to you to prove it. Your not the first nor the last to have this done at one of those fast oil change places. "If" (because i never would) I used one of those places first thing i would do "every time" would be checking the oil before i left. bottom line your looking at a total rebuild or a crate engine.

By the way welcome to the forum, sorry we don't have good news for ya though

Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So they added oil without draining the old oil OR changing the oil filter? And then charged you for a full oil change?

OR

Did you/someone else add in WAY to much oil?

Your post just says Speedie lube reviewed the situation, not that they were the ones who did it.

You can get away with a 1/4 quart to much oil, even maybe 1/2... but never more than that. By running with a sea of oil in there, it could be everywhere and the damage that has been done is only part of the situation. You will likely continue to have issues for a long while.

If the Speedie lube caused the issue, press them for a new motor. Their insurance will pay even if the owner doesn't want to.

IndyDurango

Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get those basterds to pay for it!

Quick Reply: Speedie lube screwup oil 4 quarts over