1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Vibration 2003 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not mean to say 72 was incorrect. The poster "72combo" above is from Canada. Our NTSB issues don't apply to Canada thus HIS balljoints were probably not covered just as he indicated. Chrysler only paid for what they had to and nothing more.

Assuming most visitors here are from the US, generally the recall was for ALL as mentioned. Just wanted to point out that in this situation, there are two right answers.

IndyDurango

Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by schusterjo
Well the tires could be out of balance now with 20,000 miles on them (even if they rebalanced them) adnormal wear? wear on the ouuter or inner of any tires? tires have any cupping to them?

Really hard to say since you did not test them at high speeds till 20,000 miles. I personally say its the tires
Here is a good guid
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

Most tire ware is cuase of some type of wheel alignement. We all know about the poor bushing and bad ball joints on these vehicles. perhaps you may need to look at them closer as well.
Everything I read points to the Bushings but I am running into the same problem on my 31 10.5 15 BFG K/O series tires on the outside edges with feathering. But this feathering is only on the outside edges and tips backwards (higher on the backward rotation then the front) kinda like cupping only with the tread and not sideways across. I got the a truck 4 wheel alignment and sense I got it back it acted strange. Kinda felt loose but I wanted the front end set to proper height (which they didn't do again) so I need to take it back for a new one. Good thing for lifetime alignments! Can't figure out why the tires would feather although it appears that it's alignment related.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 AM
designman882
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Fixed

I verified if there was any recalls on my 2003 Durango and I gave the dealership my VIN and they informed me that there were no recalls on my truck.
I took my Durango in for a front end alignment. They did not find any problems but said that one tire had abnormal wear on it. It just so happened that that tire also had a nail near the edge and was considered non-fixable. A few days earlier I ordered a new tire to replace the damaged one; free because I had road hazard through Sam's Club. When the tire came in and I got it installed the vibration problem was gone. It appears the whole issue was caused by a bad tire. Why the tire was bad I have no idea because there was no apparent damage to the tire.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Kensai
Champion

this happened to me with one of my other vehicles. After installing a new set of tires, steering wheel started to shake alot. After some spent money on alignment and then fingerpointing between dealer and tire place, we finally found out it was neither. It was the tires themselves that were defective. After having the tire store replace the new set with a 2nd replacement set, problem went away.

So sometimes, the tire themselves can go bad. Problably internally where you cannot see it.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:42 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
this happened to me with one of my other vehicles. After installing a new set of tires, steering wheel started to shake alot. After some spent money on alignment and then fingerpointing between dealer and tire place, we finally found out it was neither. It was the tires themselves that were defective. After having the tire store replace the new set with a 2nd replacement set, problem went away.

So sometimes, the tire themselves can go bad. Probably internally where you cannot see it.
good point there, sometimes the tires are bad just like any other product you may buy. Guess some people just assume they always are going to be good.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Everyone thinks just because you buy a new part that it's perfect an shouldn't have any quirks......... Tends to **** people off when that's the last place you look and expect that it should be perfect........LOL

Old 09-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Kensai
Champion

I was pointing out to the tire store that it must be the tires as I was backtracking when this problem started. I had no problems with the old tires. This problem came up right after the new tires are installed. Even rotating them did not help. I guess the entire set was bad. But the tire store ordered a whole new set. And this time, 2nd set rolled perfectly..

Quick Reply: Vibration 2003 Durango