1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 RT Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:38 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CJYJ
OK i have not got to the filter change and band adjustment.
well, there is your trans issue.

IndyD

Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 AM
CJYJ
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on the code. I am gonna do the filter and band adjust. today I think. I have noticed now I have NO first gear at all. I can manually put it in 1st and it works fine. Could the band adjustment also cause this or somthing else?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM
bigskiohio

mine does what racory says it makes fan noise sounds like it is slipping then quiets down within 10 sec. i thought it was trans but only does it on start.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 PM
CJYJ
Amateur
Red face

OK , did the fluid and filter change today and adjusted the bands and still No first gear. I have no P codes come up at all. Could this be a computer problem? I have read there are 2 computers that control the trans ?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i believe that the trans on the 5.9 is not computer controlled (its hyraulically controlled i think) and even on the 4.7 which IS a computer controlled transmission it only has 1, and then another one that controls the engine,

on the 5.9 the pcm that controls the engine has sensors in the trans which let it know whats going on, and when it can let overdrive kick in(the only electronic part on the trans behind the 5.9)

Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Correct. No computer control on 5.9 transmissions.

If 1st was there and is just now gone, could be the band material is shot. What did the shop say when they adjusted them about their condition? I am shocked they serviced the trans and let it go without 1st gear working.

This isn't rocket science. Adjust and it works, if it doesn't it's broke. Rebuild time.

Regular and correct/proper maintenance is/was the key.

IndyDurango

Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 AM
CJYJ
Amateur

Thanks for the response. I did the adjustment myself and have a shinny new inch pound torque wrench from sears : ) I like to do all the work, I hate to send it off to the transmission shop and pay for a complete rebuild when only one thing could be bad. Are there any DIY links on rebuilding these transmissions anywhere? I have rebuilt a few motors and rebuilt a few CJ Jeeps in my day so mechanically not realy affraid to dig in. Also a place to get a good rebuild kit??

Thanks Again.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Kensai
Champion

Does it feel like it takes off in second gear? Where is your fluid at when looking at the dipstick?

I found out on my Martin Shane built tranny, I had to take it slightly pass the full mark to get 1st gear to work correctly. If just between the marks, it will not engage in 1st gear. I like you had to manaully throw it in 1st gear to launch the truck in 1st gear.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 PM
CJYJ
Amateur

Yes for sure taking off in second gear. I did my service and put 5 3/4 qrts in it. I am thinking about taking it to a trans shop so they can plug it into there computer and tell me what is going on. Guy I called said no charge for that?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Well if you serviced the bands yourself, how do you know you did it right? 1st was there and now it isn't, so that has to speak volumes.

I would engage the pros for a little money instead of needed a rebuild soon for a lot of money.

But that's just me.

IndyD

Quick Reply: 2001 RT Transmission problem