1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 RT Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
CJYJ
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the pros are gonna handle it. I am a Toolmaker so precision is what I am all about so I know I did it correct. It is internal and getting it rebuilt.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
This isn't rocket science. Adjust and it works, if it doesn't it's broke. Rebuild time.

Regular and correct/proper maintenance is/was the key.

IndyDurango
LOL...... I'm with ya Indy!

Originally Posted by CJYJ
Thanks for the response. I did the adjustment myself and have a shinny new inch pound torque wrench from sears : ) I like to do all the work, I hate to send it off to the transmission shop and pay for a complete rebuild when only one thing could be bad. Are there any DIY links on rebuilding these transmissions anywhere? I have rebuilt a few motors and rebuilt a few CJ Jeeps in my day so mechanically not realy affraid to dig in. Also a place to get a good rebuild kit??

Thanks Again.
We are on here for the same reasons. We hate to get screwed! Links....: Do It Yourself (top questions and answers) FAQ's

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
i believe that the trans on the 5.9 is not computer controlled (its hyraulically controlled i think) and even on the 4.7 which IS a computer controlled transmission it only has 1, and then another one that controls the engine,

on the 5.9 the pcm that controls the engine has sensors in the trans which let it know whats going on, and when it can let overdrive kick in(the only electronic part on the trans behind the 5.9)
Yes...... The 46RE is hydraulic and has sensors that tell the PCM whats going on. There is also ABS systems incorporated into the valve body.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 08-27-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 PM
CJYJ
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again I would like to thank all that tried to help. My problem has been solved.
I brought my truck to a highly recommended trans shop. I called and told them I had first gear sometimes and now it is gonne all the time, they were able to tell me exactly what the problem was over the phone. Stating this is a very common problem in the re46 trans.

Governor Pressure Sensor & Governor Solenoid

I had no codes come up at all ? And a couple hundred bucks later its fixed and shifting better than it has in a long long time.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:36 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJYJ
Again I would like to thank all that tried to help. My problem has been solved.
I brought my truck to a highly recommended trans shop. I called and told them I had first gear sometimes and now it is gone all the time, they were able to tell me exactly what the problem was over the phone. Stating this is a very common problem in the re46 trans.

Governor Pressure Sensor & Governor Solenoid

I had no codes come up at all ? And a couple hundred bucks later its fixed and shifting better than it has in a long long time.
like i have said before you just can not always go buy the codes. The only way to actually see what is happening is to have it on a live read diag, not talking about the cheap live read but the nice ones. This way you can actually see when and what the sensors are doing.

Governor Pressure Sensor & Governor Solenoid is a very common failure in these transmission, probably all made in China.

Last edited by schusterjo; 09-08-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 RT Transmission problem