1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help With R/T Transmission & Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:43 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AAMCO is a rip off.. $3400 for a rebuild when you can get a Martian Sain for that much

Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I took it to Aamco to check my tranny, I was really not comfortable with the guys methods of checking. They did the road test and if that did not give them any insight, they started looking on their KB articles to see if this occurred anywhere else. Then they start speculating about this or that. and cost this or that. I said, what the hell? I said to them, what if this does not work, more or less I would have to pay for you guys to see what will and will not work? I left afterwards.

I guess with Aamco, they HAVE to give you a lifetime warranty because of the incompetency of their staff that cannot give me a straight answer on what could be wrong and just start play guessing games with a possible expensive price tag behind it.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do wish it was a Lifetime warranty with them, LOL. There was 1 year on the work they did, and I'll have to check for the parts warranty. And the franchise that did the work went out of business shortly after my service. I guess it was a sign. But I do have a private Warranty that paid for the rebuild, so they're about to get a call soon, I guess.

You guys are a God-send. And here I thought AAMCO was a good place. With my Jeeps I never had tranny trouble, so this is all new to me.

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
They are full of **** in regards to the PCM working fine EXCEPT for signals to one gear
Indy, when you put it like that, it makes sense! Novice that I am, I should have thought of that when they told me. Oh well.

The slamming into gear is much more than a "sound" though ... you can actually feel the truck jerk real hard when it happens. On Monday I'll be calling a shop that was recommended by a good friend today, and we'll see what he finds after he checks out the D. I'll report back here, and if it's okay to update an older thread, I'll certainly do so in the interest of anyone else that might have similar symptoms.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
I guess with Aamco, they HAVE to give you a lifetime warranty because of the incompetency of their staff that cannot give me a straight answer on what could be wrong and just start play guessing games with a possible expensive price tag behind it.
Amen brother!........LMFAO!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 PM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

I hope you all forgive me for taking so long to get back. UPDATE & explanation:
Took the D to the tranny shop & after driving it he agreed that there was a problem, but he also said that if it were his, he wouldn't have any problems driving it cross country. That's good to know. When he read the codes, there were now 6 tranny related codes which he found hard to believe, speculated on an electrical problem & reset them. He was going on vacation the next day, but he said to keep my truck, come back after his vacation & if the codes returned he would then "believe" them.

I took the truck back last week and this time there were 5 different codes, all O2 sensor related. WTF? My 2 sensors are both under 6 months old. Anyway the guy said I'm to deal with the codes first, because they could have an effect on the tranny sensors. Then bring the truck back. So that will be my next move. This sounds like an electrical issue, right?
My brain hurts.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

What spark plugs and wires are you using?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 PM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

IIRC the plugs are Autolite from NAPA. Don't remember about the wires, but they were nothing special.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:42 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aftermarket O2 sensors suck and fail quickly. Buy stocker replacements from the Dealer and eliminate that first.

IndyD

Old 10-28-2009, 10:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by 02 Durango_R/T
IIRC the plugs are Autolite from NAPA. Don't remember about the wires, but they were nothing special.
Well there's your problems!

Autolites don't run in that motor. Members say that Autolite 3923's run in that motor but I HATE Autolites. With that said, replace your spark plugs with Champion Regular Copper (OEM) spark plugs first. As for the wires, well we'll get there after the spark plug change out. I bet you got Autolite Platinum's in there.......LOL...... I've seen this happen many times before.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 AM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional

Thanks all for the suggestions. The upstream 02 sensor was straight from the dealership, but the downstream was not. IIRC, the codes did return. I'm picking up the D this morning from the tranny shop and then on my way to get plugs, wires & a replacement downstream 02 sensor from the dealership. I guess I'll just have a tuneup done at my mechanic tomorrow a.m. (gotta get there early or be stuck for hours). Any suggestions for the wires? Might as well do them with the plugs.

Quick Reply: Help With R/T Transmission & Codes